Three people are missing following flooding at the Ahenema Kokoben suburb of Kumasi, Monday night.
Close to three hours of torrential rains left part of the Kumasi-Obuasi Road flooded for hours.
The three missing were part of a group who joined a KIA truck but jumped off as the floods pulled the vehicle to the wrong side of the road.
“I saw them plead with the truck driver to transport them in the bucket since it was difficult to cross due to the rain.
“When they got to the middle of the river, it had flooded, and the driver attempted to park, but the rain was drawing the car. I saw the people jump into the water, and they disappeared”, a resident, Kwadwo Bosumuru, explained.
The flood left many people stranded for more than three hours. At the time of filing this report, the National Disaster Management Organisation had yet to visit the scene.
Residents are blaming poor construction and building in waterways for the flood. It is the second time the area has flooded this year. Other areas of the city witnessed similar incidents.
At Nhyiaeso near Ahodwo, it took neighbours to rescue a man believed to be in his late forties from drowning. His pickup truck was drawn into the stream after losing balance in the flood.
“We came to meet him sitting on top of the vehicle; the water kept increasing. Finally, we were able to get a robe, and we threw it to him, and with that, we could pull him to safety”, another resident explained.
Part of a recently-constructed bridge has caved in. Authorities are yet to comment on possible solutions.
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- ‘I’m working hard to get back’ – Tariq Lamptey on latest Black Stars absence
- JoyNews premieres ‘Ghana Potholes Exhibition’
- Keta Port will be your legacy if constructed – KIPC CEO to Akufo-Addo
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Tariq Lamptey Foundation donates football kits and equipment to two schools in Asamankese
- OccupyGhana shocked at government’s new position on Public Officers Act after ignoring its calls
- Beyoncé celebrates Blue Ivy after she takes stage at Renaissance world tour
- National Cathedral: Only $22.07m out of $58.14m has gone into actual construction – Ablakwa
- Agorkedzi: Another tidal waves destruction leaves one dead, many homeless
- Immediately transfer shares held by JOHL to GNPC – Minority to government
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Family of late Akwaboah Snr. holds one-week memorial
- POGA 1997 year group celebrates 25th anniversary
- Ghana International School poised to make an impact in Ghana and beyond – Principal discloses
- UNDP, Japan construct reference labs at Kotoka and other ports of entry