Audio By Carbonatix
The Achimota Circuit Court will on December 17, commence the trial of Sampson Azumah, a 21-year-old man accused of stabbing a firefighter at Adjiriganor.
Azumah allegedly stabbed the firefighter with a screwdriver after water used to douse a fire splashed on him.
He was charged with causing harm and entered a plea of not guilty.
On December 3, 2025, prosecution led by Chief Inspector Emmanuel Addo informed the Court during the Case Management Conference that three witness statements had been filed and served on the accused, who has no legal representation.
The trial judge directed Azumah to ensure the statements were read and explained to him.
When Azumah asked who should explain them, the judge ordered the Registrar to ensure this was done before the next adjourned date.
The prosecution said the complainant was Leslie Adjie Tetteh, a fire officer residing at Teshie, while Azumah is unemployed and lives in Adjiriganor, East Legon.
On November 14, 2025, at about 2330 hours, Tetteh, stationed at the Ghana National Fire Service headquarters, was among firefighters who battled a blaze at the residence of one Yvonne Okoro at Adjiriganor.
The Court heard that the scene attracted many bystanders, some of whom pelted the firefighters with stones.
While folding the water hose after the fire was controlled, Tetteh was attacked by Azumah, who accused him of deliberately sprinkling water on him.
Azumah allegedly pulled a concealed screwdriver from his waist bag, stabbed the complainant in the left arm, and fled.
The prosecution said the complainant was rushed to hospital for treatment, after which a report was lodged with the East Legon Police.
A medical form was issued for further treatment.
On November 17, 2025, Azumah was arrested, admitted the offence, and the screwdriver was retrieved.
Rashid Nisawu, Greater Accra Regional Chief Fire Officer, stated that the Service would continue attending court sittings and was determined to pursue the matter to its logical conclusion.
He said that relaxing its stance could cause the public to take the Service for granted.
Latest Stories
-
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
6 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
16 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
19 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
25 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
31 minutes -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
37 minutes -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
38 minutes -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
42 minutes -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
46 minutes -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
50 minutes -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
51 minutes -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
54 minutes -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
55 minutes -
Work to resume on UHAS multi-purpose laboratory complex – Volta Regional Minister
59 minutes -
Alleged human trafficking syndicate busted at Pokuase
1 hour
