The Spokesperson for the Vice President, Dr Gideon Boako, has rubbished claims on social media that Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia holds British citizenship while in office serving as Vice President of Ghana.
In a post on his Facebook page Friday evening, Dr. Gideon Boako stated emphatically that Dr. Bawumia has never held British citizenship, or any other citizenship in his life.
This comes after a screenshot supposedly capturing information on the Vice President on a supposed UK website was shared on social media.
The screenshot claimed Dr Bawumia holds British citizenship – a claim if true goes against the laws of the country which bars people with dual citizenship from holding certain offices including the Vice President.
But, dismissing the claims on Facebook, Dr Bawumia’s spokesperson noted that the allegation should not be entertained and treated with contempt.
Dr Boako wrote: “The attention of the Office of the Vice President has been drawn to a malicious social media allegation that the Vice President holds a British citizenship while holding the office of Vice President, contrary to the laws of Ghana.”
“We wish to state in clear terms that Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia does not hold British citizenship and has never held British or any other citizenship other than being a Ghanaian. The allegation should be treated with the contempt it deserves. Thank you.”
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw