Italy are through to the knockout stages of Euro 2016 after a superb late Eder goal saw them beat Sweden 1-0 in Toulouse.
A cagey affair that saw only three shots on target, all from Italy, looked like ending in stalemate after Marco Parolo saw his header clatter back off the bar.
But with just two minutes of normal time remaining, Eder latched onto substitute Simone Zaza’s flick on, leaving Andreas Granqvist on his backside before firing into the far corner.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic was kept quiet by an excellent Italian defence for the most part, but was guilty of the miss of the tournament, blazing over with the goal at his mercy at the far post although the offside flag had been raised. He wasn’t to know.
It means that Sweden must now win their remaining match against Belgium and hope other results go their way. But that victory looks highly unlikely as they have now failed to muster a single shot on target in 180 minutes of play.
Republic of Ireland and Belgium play on Saturday.
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySports. Highlights used with permission of DSTV.
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- Ghana will go down the drain should 2023 budget be delayed – Deputy Finance Minister warns
- Peace Council moves to address allegations of ethnic identity-based discrimination, marginalization by Ewes
- Is it unrealistic to expect that my spouse’s life revolves around me?
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Pork prices up by 40% in three months
- 2022 World Cup: Ghana will not be seeking revenge against Uruguay – Otto Addo
- Increasing VAT rate was a lazy approach to burden faithful few – Bokpin
- ACCE charges new inductees to exude professionalism
- Afrobarometer receives major boost with $6m grant from Sweden
- Cement Producers bewail fall in demand due to high cost of production
- EOCO recovers over ¢27m crime monies in 10 months
- Throw in the towel; I’ll win this election hands down – Ofosu Ampofo tells Asiedu Nketia
- A draw could be good for us but we want to win – Otto Addo on Uruguay clash
- How the UAE ban almost ruined Rita Dominic’s white wedding
- We’ll oppose removal of e-Levy threshold – Minority