President of the Ghana Football Association, Kurt Okraku, has jumped into the defence of Black Stars right-back Philemon Baffour following strong criticisms from Ghanaians.
Baffour was named in Ghana’s final 28-man squad for the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations but failed to feature in any of the games as Ghana exited in the group stage of the competition.
The Dreams FC defender, despite receiving quite a number of call-ups, is yet to have any minutes of action with the senior national team, causing strong reactions from Ghanaians over his inclusion in Rajevac’s set-up.
However, Okraku believes the player deserved his call up into the team and believes his performance at the U-20 AFCON is enough evidence of the quality he possesses.
“I think all of us have been unfair to Philemon Baffour, he is a proud son of Ghana,” the GFA president said in an interview with Asempa FM.
“He was selected by the technical team and there was a reason why he was selected so why is he being picked on? He asked.
“If the coach decides to use Daniel Amartey, it is his prerogative, that does not take the quality of Philemon Baffour away.
“We need to stop the unfair criticism and support him, he’s made his mark at the club and U-20 level.
Baffour, following Ghana’s elimination from the AFCON in Cameroon is expected to complete his move to a Portuguese-based club for the remainder of the season.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- DDEP: Financial institutions regulators should protect customers, not government – Dan Seddoh
- Profile of Anthony Akoto Osei
- Falling interest rates to boost private sector growth – Alhassan Andani
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- NDC Parliamentary primaries: We’re not protecting any sitting MP – Sammy Gyamfi
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- We have developed key interventions to safeguard clients pension funds- Enterprise Trustees
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu