Member of Parliament for South-Dayi, Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor, has sued the Attorney General over government’s decision to permit Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCE’s) to remain in office in an acting capacity.
The writ filed on his behalf by his lawyers led by Nii Kpakpo Samoa Addo says this directive is contrary to the constitution.
President Akufo-Addo is yet to name MMDCE’s for his second term in office. Consultations have since January 2021 taken place across the country but the nominations are yet to be announced.
The MP wants the apex court to rule that all actions including expenditure incurred by assemblies arising from the directives if MMDCEs are unlawful.
He is seeking the following reliefs.
- A declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of Article 243(1) and Article 246(2) of the 1992 Constitution, the President of the Republic of Ghana has no power or authority to instruct or direct Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives to remain in office in an acting capacity.
- A declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of Article 243(1) of the Constitution, 1992, the prior approval of the members of the District and Metropolitan Assemblies is a mandatory pre-condition for the President to direct, instruct or appoint any person to either act or hold office as a Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executive.
- A declaration that the Presidential directive dated 11th January, 2021 with reference number SCR/DA 39/314/01 directing Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives to continue in office in an acting capacity contravenes Articles 243(1) and 246(2) of the 1992 Constitution and is therefore null and void and of no legal effect.
- A declaration that all acts, decisions, orders and rules made by the said acting District, Municipal and Metropolitan executives pursuant to the Presidential directive dated the 11th of January, 2021 contravene Articles 243(1) and 246(3) of the Constitution, 1992.
- A declaration that all public expenses arising and pursuant to those decisions, acts, orders or rules made by the acting District, Municipal and Metropolitan Chief Executives are unlawful.
- A declaration that all agreements or contracts entered into and decisions made by the said acting District, Municipal and Metropolitan Chief Executives are unlawful and same are not binding on the Republic of Ghana.
- A declaration that all liabilities or obligations or demands placed on the Republic of Ghana as a result of the acts, decisions, orders, agreements or contracts entered into by the acting District, Municipal and Metropolitan Chiefs Executives during the period of their acting capacity are not binding on the Republic of Ghana.
- An order directed at all Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives continuing in office pursuant the above-mentioned Presidential directive to vacate office with immediate effect.
- Any other Order(s) or Direction(s) that this Honourable Court may deem necessary.
- What are the 53 phone models that WhatsApp no longer supports?
- Archbishop of Canterbury, others oppose Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill, pledge to engage with Archbishop of Ghana
- Alajo coup plot: You cannot travel to Kenya – Court declines Agordzo’s request
- My employee became my landlord at a point in my career – CEO of Websoft solutions recounts
- Parliament’s debate on Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill and MPs’ vote to be made public
- 5 NDC MPs file motion to probe Akufo-Addo’s use of chartered flights for foreign travels
- While you disregard your own laws, be mindful of the dire consequences – Isaac Adongo to BoG Governor
- Madina MP files contempt charges against police officers involved in Monday’s protest
- #NSMQonJoy: St. Thomas Aquinas SHS makes it to one-eighth stage with 49 points
- It’s not everyone who can be entrepreneur – CEO of Websoft Solutions Limited
Chinese students sue Apple for not including a charger with the iPhone 12
Akufo-Addo lauds Okyenhene’s efforts on Climate Change
‘Electoral Commission has become more partisan than political parties’ – Kpessa-Whyte
Ghana receives 756,000 more doses of Johnson & Johnson single-shot Covid-19 vaccine
‘It is a good time to be in charge of your areas’- President Akufo-Addo to MMDCEs
Speaker of Parliament refers Madina MP’s contempt charges against police officers to Privileges Committee
Chamber of Commerce in Takoradi receives training on Cybersecurity Act
Philanthropist Dr Frank Awuah Adjei donates maternity block extension to KNUST Hospital
Errand boy stole my money and submitted fake documents to PPA – Road Contractor
Ashanti Region NDC holds retreat for constituency executives
Woman takes 23 family members on blind date to test man’s generosity
Anti-LGBT bill: Homosexuality is not a mental disorder – Group of 18
I was sued for instituting reforms at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital – Okoe Boye reveals
Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill: Insults, curses, and threats have no place in a secular democratic republic – Group of 18
CWG Ghana partners Centelon to host data quality management webinar