Audio By Carbonatix
Hundreds of Zambians have so far applied to be employed as maids and drivers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Kuwait, reports the state-owned Zambia Daily Mail.
Last month, UAE and Kuwait requested the southern African nation to provide 1,000 citizens to work as drivers and maids in the two countries.
Minister of Finance Margaret Mwanakatwe told Zambia Daily Mail that medical and police screening processes have already started.
She said government had engaged a recruitment agency to receive applications for the UAE and Kuwait jobs.
“We have received an overwhelming response from Zambians who are interested in working in the two countries. The recruitment agency we have engaged has received about a thousand applications,” she said.
Ms Mwanakatwe said her ministry is working with the Ministries of Labour and Social Security and Foreign Affairs to ensure the recruitment process is accelerated.
She said once the screening process is completed, those selected will be advised on the dos and don'ts while working in the two countries.
She said: “The citizens will be sent in batches until we meet the required number of those that we are sending. We will have people working as cleaners, drivers, while others will work in hotels.”
Ms Mwanakatwe said government will keep constant contact with those who will be selected through the Zambian embassy in those countries.
However, other citizens took to social media questioning the offer given the poor labour records in the two countries.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Ablakwa meets Ghanaian community in Pretoria
3 minutes -
Rising fuel costs pose risk to Ghana’s inflation outlook – Deloitte
10 minutes -
T-bills: Government records 5.9% undersubscription, but interest rates decline marginally
12 minutes -
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
51 minutes -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
57 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over SamartexÂ
1 hour -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
1 hour -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
1 hour -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
1 hour -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
1 hour -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
2 hours -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
3 hours -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven Energy Services’ indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
3 hours -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
3 hours