South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma is attending a memorial service for the 13 soldiers killed in the recent rebellion in the Central African Republic (CAR).
Mr Zuma said the soldiers died “defending our commitment” to peace and stability in Africa.
The soldiers were killed in the capital, Bangui, as rebels seized power more than a week ago.
The governing ANC party has rejected accusations that the troops were in CAR because it has mining interests there.
The South African government says they were training government forces and providing security.
The South African National Defence Union (SANDF), representing the soldiers, and the main opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) party is calling for the withdrawal of troops.
South Africa’s Times newspaper reports from Bangui that rebels have been seen driving around in captured South African military vehicles.
The vehicles included a Toyota Landcruiser marked with the insignia of Operation Vimbezela, the South African military mission in CAR. A machine gun was mounted on the roof of the vehicle, it reports.
The memorial is taking place in an aircraft hanger at the Swartkop air base in the South African capital, Pretoria.
The soldiers’ commander has been speaking at the memorial, commending their bravery and confirming that they died in a night ambush, South Africa’s Mail and Guardian newspaper reports.
Mr Zuma has also been paying tribute to the soldiers.
“We salute them and honour them for the supreme sacrifice they have paid for the achievement of peace in Africa,” he said, in comments carried on his official website.
South Africa’s foreign policy was premised on the “vision of building a better Africa, a better world”, he added.
Mr Zuma has said South Africa’s 200 soldiers in Bangui were outnumbered in a nine-hour “high tempo” battle after “bandits” attacked them at their base on the weekend of 23-24 March.
As well as the 13 dead, another 27 soldiers were injured – the highest number of casualties suffered by South Africa’s army since white minority rule ended in 1994.
Mr Zuma said the tragedy should not be used to pursue party political goals.
“No country discusses its military strategy in public in the manner in which South Africa is expected to do…. Those who are engaging in this game should be careful not to endanger both the national interest and the security of the Republic while pursuing party political goals,” he said.
The president’s comments come as political controversy rages about the deployment of the troops.
The DA has said it will present a motion to parliament demanding the withdrawal of South African troops from CAR.
Its leader Helen Zille said it looked as if the South Africans were in CAR to defend the regime of ousted President Francois Bozize.
The mission “was reportedly undertaken against expert military advice” and was “allegedly to protect the business interests of a politically connected elite, both in South Africa and the Central African Republic”, she said.
On Monday, the ANC threatened the Mail and Guardian with legal action for claiming the troops were deployed to defend its mining interests in CAR, which has gold and uranium.
It accused the paper of urinating “on the graves of gallant fighters who put their lives on the line in service of our country and our continent”.
The Mail and Guardian said it stood by its report.
Last week, Mr Zuma said South Africa had deployed 200 troops to CAR in January to help train the army and VIP protection unit.
The Seleka rebel group seized power after a peace deal negotiated with Mr Bozize collapsed.
It accused South African troops in CAR of being “mercenaries”.
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- ‘I find myself in a very enviable position’ – Hassan Tampuli on ministerial appointment
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- Power providers can’t guarantee consistency with ‘dumsor’ timetable – Energy Analyst
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Hyundai, KIA to establish assembly plants in Ghana in 2022
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
Yaw Sarpong-Kumankuma: Why panic when solutions abound?
WAEC needs a regulator – Africa Education Watch
State files fresh charges against Ernest Thompson, four others
UEW student found dead at the sea shore of Winneba
JoyNews’ Emmanuel Kwasi Debrah honoured at Society of Environmental Journalists 2020 Awards
Profile of Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister-designate, Kwaku Ampratwum-Sarpong
Enterprise Trustees launches industry first mobile van service
Brazilian midfielder Fabio Gama will consider nationality switch to play for Ghana
Ibrahimovic signs new AC Milan contract
Barcelona hit Getafe for five to keep pressure on Real and Atletico
Ruthless Leicester see off West Brom in Premier League
Asantehene calls on Ghanaians to fight against climate change
Weed, snakes, engulf government’s One-District-One-Warehouse facilities
The world marks Earth Day
NDC’s horse was strong, rider was also strong – Ofosu-Ampofo responds to Kunbour