Audio By Carbonatix
Defending league champions Accra Hearts of Oak has been asked to pull out of Africa for the 2008 season.
Seasoned football administrator, Harry Zakkour made the sensational outburst soon after seeing his beloved club Hearts drop points against Great Olympics in the first Premiership duel at the El Wak Stadium last Sunday.
"You saw things for yourself. Is this a team we must send to Africa?" he asked.
Mr. Zakkour who is also a director of the club said campaigning in Africa has become a very expensive exercise. “We must therefore have very good reasons for embarking on the journey,” he said.
The debt profile of Hearts is said to have hit an alarming ceiling of 17 billion cedis.
Africa campaigns in recent times have left in their wake debilitating debts for all Ghanaian sides. Attempts to secure substantial governmental assistance have been hugely unsuccessful.
Mr. Zakkour warns it will "take time" for the current crop of players to mature into truly continental materials.
Hearts failed to score a single goal the last time they participated in Africa, failing to progress beyond the group stage. This year, they did not participate.
The decision to re-enter Africa was taken by the Board of Hearts headed by Commodore Mensah after a lengthy debate.
It's unlikely the Board will rescind the decision to campaign in Africa. But Mr. Zakkour insists it will be in the supreme interest of Hearts to save their blushes by forfeiting their Africa campaign for "better times ahead."
Hearts have in addition to failing to win their opening league game against Great Olympics last Sunday, also lost twice to Liberty Professionals in the past fortnight in cup matches.
Source: Africa Sports
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
2 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
2 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
2 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
2 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
2 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
2 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
3 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
3 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
3 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
3 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
3 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
3 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
3 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappearing Man City
4 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
4 hours