Audio By Carbonatix
After blacklisting TikTok, India has now banned the mobile version of the popular game PUBG, citing security concerns. Indian officials have been cracking down on Chinese apps following a deadly border clash.
India has banned more Chinese apps on Wednesday, accusing them of undermining India's security amid an ongoing row over the disputed Himalayan border between the two neighboring nations.
New Delhi said that it had barred as many as 118 mostly Chinese apps, which include services provided by China internet giant Tencent and the popular online game PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, also known as PUBG.
A statement by the country’s Information Technology Ministry said they promoted activities that were "prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, security of state and public order."
"This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace," the Indian government said.
India already banned 59 apps at the end of June, including video-sharing platform TIkTok, social media app WeChat and Weibo, China’s equivalent of the US micro-blogging site Twitter.
In July, the country banned 47 more Chinese mobile applications that cloned the previously restricted apps.
Military tensions
The crackdown follows a deadly border clash in the Ladakh region between Chinese and Indian troops, which saw at least 20 Indian soldiers lose their lives.
China also suffered casualties during the flare-up but has not given any figures.
The two countries fought a border war in 1962.
Both have each accused the other of trying to cross their unofficial frontier in the Ladakh region to gain territory.
Diplomatic and military talks to bring an end to the crisis have so far been unsuccessful.
Latest Stories
-
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
1 minute -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
22 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
39 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
49 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
52 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
58 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour
