Audio By Carbonatix
A group of Tory MPs have urged Greater Manchester's mayor to "engage" with the government's regional approach to restrictions - prompting anger from some of their own colleagues.
In a letter to Andy Burnham and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, 20 MPs said a national lockdown would impose "severe costs" on areas with low transmission.
But four Conservative MPs for the region said the letter was unhelpful.
Ministers say Greater Manchester needs to be in the top tier of restrictions.
The letter was organised by Jerome Mayhew, MP for Broadland in Norfolk, and was signed by MPs representing constituencies currently at the lowest tier of Covid restrictions.
"It does not make sense to shut down the whole country when the virus is spiking in particular locations," the letter reads.
"Our constituents, like yours, have made many sacrifices to get - and keep - the virus under control in our areas," it adds.
Meanwhile, Liverpool City Region's metro mayor Steve Rotherham announced his area will receive an additional £44m from the government to "support local jobs and businesses" and fund a local test-and-trace service after its move to tier three - very high.
A similar package worth £42mwas given to local leaders in Lancashire as part of negotiations over its move to the highest alert level.
Sir Keir has backed calls for a shorter but stricter national lockdown - also known as a circuit-breaker.
The MPs lending their names to the letter argue that a regional approach offers protection to businesses in low prevalence areas.
Meanwhile, Mr Burnham has accused Chancellor Rishi Sunak of being "the problem" as the Manchester mayor reiterated his call for greater financial support for workers and businesses in the area.
He told the New Statesman magazine: "I think the problem now is, to a large degree, the chancellor. I think he's made wrong judgements throughout this."
Mr Sunak has offered a 66% subsidy for those whose businesses are forced to shut by tier three restrictions.
But Mr Burnham wants a return of the original furlough scheme, which saw the Treasury pay 80% of workers wages.
He said the cost of the Eat Out to Help Out meal subsidy programme should have been paying for the furlough now.
However, the responsibility ultimately lies with the PM, Mr Burnham added.
No 10 told the BBC it had arranged a call with Mr Burnham on Sunday morning, but the Greater Manchester Mayor's office said no such call had been scheduled.
Latest Stories
-
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
13 minutes -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
18 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund oversees restoration of Cath Lab at Korle Bu
19 minutes -
Broda Harrison recognized as originator, songwriter behind global gospel anthem ‘Don’t Play With Me (God on My Side)’
36 minutes -
Komenda Sugar Factory disconnected from power, water, saddled with heavy debt – Trade Minister
47 minutes -
Ghana Water faces 21% supply deficit, GH¢14.6bn debt and 52% water losses — report warns
1 hour -
ECG urges calm as scheduled power outages hit Ahodwo–Santasi stretch
1 hour -
COCOBOD salary cuts unfair and misguided — Isaac Yaw Opoku
1 hour -
SWAG calls on sports minister, backs gov’ts sports fund policy
1 hour -
Spain to probe social media giants over AI-generated child abuse material
1 hour -
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
2 hours -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
2 hours -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
2 hours -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 hours -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
2 hours
