Audio By Carbonatix
The meteoric rise of Antoine Semenyo from the south coast to the summit of English football has officially transcended the pitch.
The Ghanaian international's high-profile move from AFC Bournemouth to Manchester City became a focal point of debate in the UK Parliament this week, used as a gold standard for professional conduct in a digital age.
Semenyo, 26, finalised his blockbuster transfer to the Etihad Stadium earlier this month in a deal valued at £65 million. While the move bolsters Pep Guardiola’s attacking arsenal, it is the striker's parting gesture to the fans in Dorset that has captured the attention of lawmakers.
During parliamentary proceedings on Thursday, January 15, 2026, Tom Hayes, the Labour MP for Bournemouth East, took the floor to laud the forward not just for his goal-scoring prowess but for his character.
“AFC Bournemouth has just said goodbye to Antoine Semenyo. He's been a superstar on the pitch and a gentleman off it. Taking out a four-page ad in the Bournemouth Echo to thank fans for the memories as he sadly went to Manchester City,” Mr Hayes told the House.
The MP’s tribute referred to a rare and expensive four-page spread Semenyo purchased in the local newspaper, the Bournemouth Echo, to express his gratitude to the "Cherries" faithful. The gesture was seen as a touch of class in an era where modern transfers are often characterised by acrimony or silence.
Mr Hayes utilised Semenyo’s legacy to pivot toward a broader legislative push. The MP argued that the "Conduct of a Gentleman" exhibited by players like Semenyo is exactly what young people need to witness more of—offline.
Linking the player’s exit to the ongoing debate over digital safety for minors, Mr Hayes used the moment to advocate for raising the minimum age for social media use to 16.
“In Bournemouth, we need more players like him. That means getting kids outdoors, off their phones. Which is why I’m backing raising the minimum social media age to sixteen,” Mr Hayes added.
While Parliament discussed his ethics, Semenyo has been busy proving his value on the field. He marked his Manchester City debut with a clinical goal and an assist in a dominant display, instantly justifying the £65 million price tag.
His departure from the Vitality Stadium ends a highly successful two-and-a-half-year stint where he transformed from a promising talent into one of the league's most feared attackers.
For Bournemouth, the sale represents a record-breaking financial windfall, but for the community, it marks the exit of a man who bridged the gap between a global sport and local respect.
Latest Stories
-
Torrential rain submerges 50 houses in Cape Coast
3 minutes -
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
10 minutes -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
15 minutes -
Mahama cut sod for construction of 24-hour economy market in Bole
29 minutes -
UNFPA and partners triple fistula repairs but Ghana needs 2,249 a year to meet 2030 target
33 minutes -
Eastern Regional Fire Commander rallies officers to meet 2026 fire safety targets
38 minutes -
Bosomtwe STEM Girls SHS team returns to rousing welcome after World Robofest Championship feat
43 minutes -
Amin Adam warns against politicising banking regulation after GN Savings ruling
1 hour -
GN Savings ruling poses fiscal and financial-stability risks – Amin Adam
1 hour -
Amin Adam calls on BoG and Finance Ministry to explain implications of GN Savings ruling
2 hours -
Restoring GN Savings and Loans will be difficult after years of asset disposal — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Misrepresentation of GN Bank’s financial position led to collapse – Dr Kweku Nduom
2 hours -
Collapse of GN Bank led to loss of over 4,500 jobs — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
2 hours -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
2 hours