Audio By Carbonatix
Rapper Silento has been charged with murder over the shooting of his cousin, authorities have said.
The 23-year-old music star, real name Ricky Hawk, was arrested by officers from the DeKalb County Police Department in Georgia on Monday and placed in custody.
It comes following the death of Frederick Rooks, 34, who was found with gunshot wounds on January 21.
In a statement posted on Twitter on Monday, DeKalb County police said: "Today, Ricky Hawk, 23, was arrested for the murder of his cousin Frederick Rooks, 34.
Today, Ricky Hawk, 23, was arrested for the murder of his cousin Frederick Rooks, 34. On January 21, the DeKalb County Police Department investigated Rooks' death after he was found shot on Deep Shoals Circle. Hawk is in the DeKalb County Jail charged with Murder. #WeAreDKPD pic.twitter.com/AfaA8CtXgx
— DeKalb County Police Department (@DeKalbCountyPD) February 1, 2021
"On January 21, the DeKalb County Police Department investigated Rooks' death after he was found shot on Deep Shoals Circle. Hawk is in the DeKalb County Jail charged with Murder."
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper previously reported that police responded to a call of shots fired at about 3.30 am on January 21, in the community of Panthersville in DeKalb County.
Silento is best known for the viral song Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae), released in 2015.
He had posted on Instagram just a few hours before the police statement was made.
In September, the hip hop star was charged with assault after allegedly attacking two strangers with a hatchet in Los Angeles.
He was alleged to have walked into a stranger's unlocked home and attacked two people before one of them disarmed him, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
Latest Stories
-
7-month-old baby found dead in a drain at Obuasi Old Estate
24 minutes -
Tunisia coast guard recovers eight bodies of migrants whose boat sank
25 minutes -
One man diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK ‘every eight minutes’
28 minutes -
After losing 2012 election, we couldn’t even afford prepaid credit – Obuobia Darko
32 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
2 hours -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
2 hours -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
3 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
5 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
6 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
6 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours