Audio By Carbonatix
The former Managing Director of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Dubik Mahama, has refuted claims that the company’s containers at the port have gone missing, suggesting that they were either misplaced or auctioned by the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) due to failure to clear them from the port.
The so-called missing ECG containers scandal has attracted significant public attention, with many questioning how the containers could have gone missing from the Tema Port.
However, Mr Dubik Mahama, speaking on Joy FM's Super Morning Show on Thursday, April 3, insisted that the containers were not lost but were rather misplaced or auctioned because they had not been cleared from the port in time.
He explained that before he left office, he was informed that there were insufficient funds to clear the containers. Based on this information, he believes the containers were either auctioned or misplaced, but they were certainly not lost.
This revelation comes in the wake of ongoing investigations and public concern over the whereabouts of the ECG containers, which contained valuable materials.
The situation has raised questions about corruption in the management of ECG.
According to Mr Dubik Mahama, the failure to clear the containers in time led to the eventual auctioning of some by the Ghana Revenue Authority.
The auctioning process occurs when goods are not cleared within the stipulated period, and the customs officials take action to dispose of them to recover port charges.
Over 1,300 containers belonging to the ECG were said to be missing, however, the Minister for Energy and Green Transition, John Abdulai Jinapor, has revealed that 40 of the containers have been traced to a warehouse owned by a Chinese national at Kpone, near Tema. Since then, over ten people have been arrested concerning the case.
The minister has also called on the Attorney General to probe the matter. According to him, his office has formally requested the Attorney General to conduct further investigations, with the possibility of initiating legal action against those responsible.
"We've written to the Attorney General to conduct further investigations with the possibility of taking the culprits in court," he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
3 minutes -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
21 minutes -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
27 minutes -
Government owes GN Bank GH¢300m in unpaid interim payment certificates — Dr Ndoum
44 minutes -
Fernandes named Premier League player of season
45 minutes -
BoG failed in its supervisory role in GN Bank crisis — Senyo Hosi
49 minutes -
Mahama cuts sod for Bole College of Education, unveils major development projects for Savannah Region
1 hour -
NDC tightens control over media representation
1 hour -
GN Savings licence revocation came as a shock – Dr Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
GN Bank was not insolvent before downgrade and licence revocation – Kweku Ndoum
1 hour -
US tells foreigners seeking green cards: Return to your countries to apply
1 hour -
Trump says he will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding
1 hour -
Without discipline, Ghana risks a return to IMF – CPS Director warns
2 hours -
Minority caucus demands immediate laying of BoG accounts before Parliament
2 hours -
Black Sherif takes victory lap to Telecel Ghana HQ after 27th TGMA sweep
2 hours