Audio By Carbonatix
At least five bodies have been recovered from shallow graves at a site in Kenya where victims of a religious cult are suspected to have been buried, according to authorities.
Excavations were continuing on Friday at the site on the outskirts of Malindi in southeastern Kenya’s Kilifi County, close to where hundreds of members of a doomsday cult were found dead two years ago.
Government pathologist, Dr Richard Njoroge, said on Thursday that the authorities expected to find more remains at the site.
“At the commencement of this exercise, we had 27 suspected graves. Today we managed to exhume six,” Njoroge said.
The pathologist added: “Of the six graves, we found five bodies. And then also around that area, we found 10 different scattered body parts, scattered in different places on the surface.”
Njoroge stressed that they expected to find more graves because the teams had not exhausted the search in a vast area.
“So we expect more bodies,” the official said.
‘Starved and suffocated’
In July, Kenya’s Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions said it believed victims buried at the site may have been “starved and suffocated as a result of adopting and promoting extreme religious ideologies”.
At least 11 suspects are being investigated in connection with the deaths, the prosecutors said.
People who live around the exhumation site had been unable to account for the whereabouts of several children, leading to suspicion of foul play and triggering investigations, according to the prosecutor’s office.
More than 400 bodies were exhumed from the nearby Shakahola Forest in 2023 in one of the world’s biggest cult-related incidents in recent history.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
11 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
14 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
20 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
37 minutes -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
41 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
44 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
49 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
3 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
3 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours