Audio By Carbonatix
At least 108 people have died in an explosion at a school in southern Iran, according to a local prosecutor.
It happened as the US and Israel launched massive air strikes against the country.
President Masoud Pezeshkian said it was a "barbaric act" and "another black page in the record of countless crimes committed by the aggressors". There has been no confirmation by the two Western countries of the attack on the school - located near a base of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been the target of the strikes.
The Iranian Red Crescent said at least 201 people throughout the country had been killed in the air strikes, with 747 injured.
Red Cross and Red Crescent officials in Geneva said the society had mobilised response teams to go to the school following the incident.
An official said that the school, in the town of Minab in Hormozgan province, had been "targeted by three missile attacks".
It is located about 600m (1968ft) from the base of the IRGC.
The BBC has verified clips of the aftermath of the explosion, which show smoke rising from a building as crowds gather nearby and people can be heard screaming in panic.
But it has not been able to independently verify the death toll - international news organisations are often refused visas to Iran which severely limits their ability to gather information there.
Iranian social media users have reacted with anger to news of the incident.
An Iranian living abroad who opposes military intervention in Iran commented: "The first victims of this war are 40 girls in Minab, hit by a missile attack. Is this the war you cheer for?"
Deep mistrust of the Iranian regime, however, makes official reports difficult for many to accept, and some Iranians directly blamed the regime for the attack.
One user wrote: "Even if the regime did not directly target schools, the deaths of children in Minab remain the responsibility of the Islamic Republic.
"People have no shelters, the internet is cut, phone lines are down, and there has been no warning to keep children out of school. In these conditions, the minimum requirement should be to stay at home."
The school tragedy took place as the US and Israel launched wave after wave of air strikes against targets in a number of Iranian cities throughout Saturday.
The attacks seem set to continue, despite US President Donald Trump saying Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei - together with many of his senior commanders - had been killed in the initial strikes.
Latest Stories
-
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
14 minutes -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
16 minutes -
Only 16% of Ghana health facilities meet basic sanitation standard — WHO / UNICEF
23 minutes -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
39 minutes -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
42 minutes -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
46 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
50 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
1 hour -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
3 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
3 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
3 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
3 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
3 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
3 hours