Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, says his office has launched urgent investigations into the reported death of a Ghanaian student in Latvia, following growing concerns from the victim’s family about possible foul play.
In a post on X, the minister described the incident as “heart-wrenching” and assured the public that the government is pursuing the matter through diplomatic channels.

“My attention has been drawn to a heart-wrenching video reporting the killing of a Ghanaian student by the name Nana Adjei in Latvia,” he wrote. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has commenced immediate investigations through relevant diplomatic channels. We shall provide the public with regular updates.”
He further cautioned that Ghana will not tolerate harm against its citizens abroad.
“It is worth reminding that nobody harms a Ghanaian in any part of the world and gets away with it,” he added.
The renewed government interest comes after 21-year-old Nana Agyei, a first-year Electrical Engineering (Adaptronic) student at Riga Technical University, reportedly fell to his death from the sixth floor of his apartment building on Baznicas Street on June 4, 2025. He had enrolled at the university in July 2024.
While Latvian authorities described the incident as a fall, his family has firmly rejected that account. According to them, the circumstances surrounding his death raise serious questions.
Three days before the incident, the student allegedly sent a disturbing voice note to relatives, claiming he had been poisoned. The family believes the message indicates he may have been harmed.
“There’s no way he would commit suicide,” family spokesperson Sarah Nimli said. “I wrote letters to the foreign ministry, to the school, and contacted the police. But we realised the police were not responding and appeared to be covering up because the people involved were Latvian nationals.”
In their search for answers, the family sent a representative to Latvia. The relative was later joined by an official from the Ghanaian Embassy in Berlin—which has oversight responsibility for Latvia—to engage with local authorities.
Although Latvian police say investigations are ongoing, the family maintains that they have not received any meaningful updates from either Latvian officials or Ghana’s diplomatic mission. Their frustration, they say, has been compounded by what they perceive as a lack of transparency.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry has yet to release further details but has assured Ghanaians that updates will be provided as the investigation progresses.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
53 seconds -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
5 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
10 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
12 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
15 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
17 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
19 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
20 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
21 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
22 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
24 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
25 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
26 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
34 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
42 minutes