Audio By Carbonatix
Some unknown men wielding guns have attacked residents of Adugyama in the Ahafo Ano South District of the Ashanti region, Thursday night.
The gang, suspected to be armed robbers and numbering about six also robbed several mobile money merchants and individuals of an unspecified amount of money and properties.
Eyewitnesses say, they stormed the community around 7pm and began shooting indiscriminately.
Speaking to JoyNews, the mother of one of the attacked vendors who gave her name as Cynthia said the community has been thrown into a state of panic and shock.
According to her, the residents were forced to flee the community when the armed men arrived and started firing warning shots.
"We were in our shop when we heard a gun shot so we were all afraid. We had to run away from our shops and then later we came back to lock up but before then, they had already robbed one of the merchants.
"From there, they came to another mobile money shop but unfortunately for them, the shop was locked so they met the man and demanded money from him.
"They then came to my son's mobile money shop and then they shot the gun, something like a warning shot. So they told my son to bring the money and asked them to lie down."
Continuing her narration, Cynthia said "one of my sons took the money and gave it to them and the robbers came out and started shooting again on the streets.
"They scared all of us. We couldn't come out until they left. That was when we came out," she said.
The recent attack comes less than a week after a spare parts dealer was shot dead during a similar attack at Alabar High Street, a suburb of Kumasi.
The killing of Fuseini, added to the series of attacks that have been recorded in the region in the past two months.
On Wednesday, a 62-year-old businessman was shot dead by unknown assailants at Asuadee close to Mankranso in the same region.
The frightened residents say they are living in fear and have charged the Ashanti Regional Police Command to arrest the perpetrators.
They have also described the region as unsafe; a claim that has been rebutted by the police.
The Public Relations Officer for the Ashanti Regional Police Command, ASP Godwin Ahianyo, insists the Service is still at the helm of security in the region and has successfully effected the arrest of suspects involved in some crimes.
Meanwhile, robbery attacks on mobile money vendors in the country continue to be a worrying trend.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
7 minutes -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
1 hour -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
1 hour -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
1 hour -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
3 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
3 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
3 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
5 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
5 hours