Audio By Carbonatix
At least 24 people were killed and dozens wounded in Saturday's suicide bomb attack outside an education centre in Kabul, Afghan officials now say.
The explosion at the private facility, which offers courses for students in higher education, occurred late in the afternoon, the interior ministry said.
The building in the predominantly Shia Muslim Dasht-e-Barchi area usually hosts hundreds of students.
The Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attack.
It did not provide any evidence to back up its claim issued via its usual social media outlets.
One of its members detonated an explosives vest among a gathering of Shias, it said, while using a disparaging term for the religious community.
The Shia community in Afghanistan has previously been targeted by Sunni Muslim extremists such as IS, which views the Shia practice of Islam as heretical.
Earlier, the Taliban denied involvement in the attack.
"A suicide bomber wanted to enter the education centre," interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said in a statement, AFP news agency reports.
The spokesman added that the attacker was spotted by security guards "after which he detonated his explosives in an alley".

One local resident, Ali Reza, told AFP that those killed and injured were students waiting to enter the facility. "I was standing about 100m from the centre when a big blast knocked me down," he said.
Afghanistan has seen a rise in violence in recent weeks - with most of the attacks carried out by the Taliban. The violence threatens to imperil peace talks between government forces and the Taliban in the Qatari capital, Doha.

Saturday's attack is not the first to target an education centre in the country.
Forty-eight people - many of them teenagers - were killed in August 2018 when a suicide bomber walked into a tuition facility and detonated a device while teaching was under way. The Islamic State group said it was behind that attack.
And in May, 24 women, children and babies were killed when unidentified gunmen entered a maternity ward at a hospital in Kabul and opened fire.
Earlier this week, 11 children and their prayer leader died an air strike on a religious school in the northern Afghan province of Takhar, according to local officials. The Afghan government disputed the account, saying the strike had killed Taliban fighters.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
2 minutes -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
7 minutes -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
11 minutes -
AGA Obuasi Mine and partners inspire girls at Asare Bediako SHS to pursue careers in STEM
13 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates Spatial Planning Committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
22 minutes -
AI-driven technology set to boost farmers’ productivity and cut seed losses in Ghana
22 minutes -
Early polls are misleading – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu on Ghana’s 2028 elections
28 minutes -
Black Princesses arrive in Ghana after victory over South Africa
30 minutes -
NPP primaries: Gideon Boako reconciles opposing camps in Tano North
36 minutes -
‘We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda’ – Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson
38 minutes -
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
53 minutes -
ECG schedules outages on Tuesdays for Ahodwo-Santasi transmission lines relocation
56 minutes -
Female Israeli soldiers rescued after being chased by ultra-Orthodox men
56 minutes -
GCB Bank PLC prepares to launch non-interest banking window following high-level talks with IIFM
60 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Kotoko title hopes dented after Hearts of Oak loss – Interim coach
1 hour
