President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has offered to personally compensate scores of traders set for eviction, after their business locations were deemed too close to his Nima home, designated a national security zone.
Minister of State in charge of Security, Bryan Acheampong who confirmed this, would not reveal the entire cost of the compensation package.
But payments between 1,000 cedis and 12,000 cedis have been quoted for businesses numbering about 30 cited in front of the President's house at Korle Wokon in Nima in the national capital, Accra.
They are "waakye sellers, koko sellers, credit card sellers, some are hair saloons, blue kiosks [drinking bar]," the Minister said in an interview with Joy FM's Super Morning Show, Monday.
He indicated, some are as close as 25 feet from the front gate of the president's Nima home, Betty House, as it is known.
"Are you telling me that these people should be there," asked the Minister who is also New Patriotic Party (NPP) Member of Parliament for Abetifi in the Eastern Region.
The political science professor, Ransford Gyampo, has criticised the relocation as needless because the president is not supposed to live at Nima any longer after winning the 2016 race to the Flagstaff House.
By winning the race, the President ought to move into the seat of government sparsely used after it was built in November 2008. The professor wants the traders to be left alone.
But Bryan Acheampong said any property belonging to the president is a national security zone even if he does not use the property.
The President owns three houses, one built by his father (Nima), another built by his mother (Kyebi) and one he built (East Legon),
The Betty House, he said, has "high-value targets" who are family members of the president.
The presence of the traders makes it difficult to profile persons within the Nima area, the Minister explained.
He would not reveal if the president lives permanently at the Flagstaff House explaining, Akufo-Addo's location is "not a matter we should be discussing on air".
He said the president prefers to have private meetings in his private home and comes to Nima "each and any other day".
Even in his hometown at Kyebi is a national security zone, he said.
Byran Acheampong said it would be "very lazy not to put a permanent security arrangement" in place for the president of Ghana.
'We are talking about the President of the Republic', he repeatedly said.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- Gertrude Agyemang: Customer Service Week and the ECG prepaid meter challenge
- NDC has no evidence to prove my involvement in ‘galamsey’ – Ellembelle DCE
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims