A few days after President Akufo-Addo’s promise to revive and return Ghana’s ailing economy to the path of economic growth, Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has reiterated the point after outlining reasons why the once-promising economy has seen a downturn.
Dr. Bawumia has, however, reassured the business community and the general public that the administration will not rest until such time that the economy begins to mirror pre-Covid19 numbers.
The banking sector clean-up, Covid-19 outbreak, and ongoing Russia’s special military operation in Ukraine derailed what the Vice President described as a promising economy but expressed the administration’s determination to rescue the situation.
Speaking at this year’s Internal Audit Conference in Accra Tuesday, Dr. Bawumia outlined interventions that have been rolled out to inject confidence into the economy.
This includes the 20% expenditure cut announced by government, and the strengthening of expenditure monitoring systems among others to help bring the economy back on track.
The ongoing negotiation to secure a support programme with IMF and other interventions by the government are being undertaken to deal with the worrying depreciation of the Cedi in a bid to bring down inflation which has gone past the 30% mark, the worst in the last two decades.
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Government using IMF as smokescreen to force its ‘austerity budget’ on Ghanaians – Martin Amidu
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- WHO alert over India-made cough syrups after deaths in The Gambia
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia
- One dead in Tetegu floods
- #BigBrotherNaija records over 19m tweets by fans￼
- Uganda president apologises for son’s tweets on invading Kenya