A lifeless body of a 16-year-old boy has been retrieved from River Boafo at Nkwanta in the Mfantseman Municipality of the Central Region.
The deceased, identified as Akwesi Akufo-Addo, was going to fetch water with his friends when the incident occurred.
Nkwanta Unit Committee Chairman, Kwesi Amfoh, confirmed this unfortunate incident to Adom News.
He said the deceased, known to be a good swimmer, drowned while showing his friends his swimming skills.
“He compared the river to the sea and said he can swim in it but drowned in the process,” Mr Amfoh added.
However, chief of the area, Nana Essandoh, said the young boy drowned because he insulted the river god.
Nana Essandoh revealed that they had to perform series of rituals to pacify the river god before the body was found.
Nana Essandoh said the police were called to the scene to convey the lifeless body of the boy.
Meanwhile, the body of the deceased has been deposited at the Saltpond Government Hospital morgue pending autopsy.
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- ECG extends weekend working hours due to vending challenges
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- Patrons at Luv Fm Habitat Fair impressed with quality of event
- Count On Crops Hub equips 32 Agric Extension Officers with data collection skills
- Government fails to announce new farmgate price for cocoa despite start of season
- 2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies face Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan in Group C
- Fight against galamsey must be above partisan politics – Samuel Jinapor
- Customers can purchase electricity credits from Oct. 2 – ECG
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs
- UT’s loans in less than 48 hours saved many businesses from collapse – Amoabeng