Audio By Carbonatix
A woman, aged 41, has drowned with three children in a pit dug in the Keta Lagoon at Laklevikope, near Aflao, in the Ketu South Municipality.
The incident happened on Saturday when Madam Yawa Apenu was allegedly fishing with Bridget Amewu, 14, and Daddy Amewu, 10 – her children- and a third child, Sitsofe Ahiawor, 8, who lived with the family.
Mr Atitso Amewu, the widower, who was said to be on the expedition, however, managed to swim to safety.
Some residents, who spoke to the Ghana News Agency (GNA), said they suspected that the pit was dug by the Seven Seas Salt Limited, which had an uncompleted dyke on its concessions in the area.
But the company has denied the claim.
In July, two people reportedly drowned along that stretch of the lagoon, when they attempted to fish.
Mr Victor Ayaku, Assembly member for the area, in an interview with the GNA following that incident said that: “There’s no form of protection around the dykes, no demarcation and it’s almost like a death trap to unsuspecting residents who might want to go fishing in the lagoon.”
But Mr Adams Mensah, the Public Relations Officer of Seven Seas Salt Limited, said the Company was not to blame for last Saturday’s disaster.
He said the pit was outside the company’s concession and that it was a fish pond belonging to an individual who was not known to the Company.
Expressing his sympathy over the loss of lives, he said that the mining company was ready to support the family of the deceased.
He urged collaboration between them and stakeholders, especially the assembly members in communities where the Company had concessions, to work to prevent such avoidable deaths.
Mr Mensah said though the Company had constructed signposts on danger, which it would start mounting on its concessions from Monday to ward off people and fishers from deep pit areas, it would also do educational campaigns.
People, he said, could use sticks to test the depth of the water while fishing to avoid disasters because some individuals had fish ponds created in the lagoon.
Meanwhile, a Police source, which confirmed the incident to the GNA, said the bodies had been deposited at the morgue, while a meeting had been scheduled with the family of the deceased to help in investigations.
Latest Stories
-
Fact-check: Did GoldBod make a loss in 2025? Here’s what the records show
10 minutes -
Rev. Adzraku Kevi calls for more women in leadership
13 minutes -
Dagbon Kingdom suspends Damba Festival to honour late Overlord
15 minutes -
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
20 minutes -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
23 minutes -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
29 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
33 minutes -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
47 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
51 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
57 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
58 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
59 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
1 hour -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
1 hour -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
1 hour