Eight school children have drowned in the Volta Lake following the capsizing of a boat on which they were travelling.
According to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), the deceased were among 20 pupils who were in the boat travelling from Atikagome to Wayokope, where their school is located.
Twelve pupils managed to swim to safety.
The eight deceased, NADMO says comprises five boys and three girls between the ages of five and twelve.
The Sene East District Director of NADMO, Ibrahim Wudonyim, told Graphic Online that before they got to the accident scene, some community members and Marine Police had managed to retrieve all eight bodies from the Lake.
He explained that the incident happened around 7:00am on Tuesday and that the boat capsized midway.
The bodies have been sent to Atikagome, a fishing community.
The community has been thrown into mourning, shock and fear as a result of the incident.
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Petrol, diesel now sell at ¢15.25, ¢15.90 per litre at pumps
- Trader jailed for causing harm to ‘Good Samaritan’
- Stonebwoy revisits VGMA brawl with Shatta Wale on The Breakfast Club
- UTAG-GIJ threatens to withdraw from UniMac merger
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- Football transfers: Kamaldeen Sulemana chooses Southampton over Everton
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- Police investigate alleged murder of Gospel musician’s brother by officers
- DDE: State regulators accommodating fiscal slippages is what has brought us here – Prof. Bokpin
- We did not know Mac Iyalla was a gay activist – Nkusukum Traditional Council
- GSE grants ESLA, Daakye, 3 others extension to submit 2022 unaudited financial statements
- FBI search President Biden’s home in Delaware
- NDC chides Akufo-Addo’s government for mismanagement of Covid-19 funds
- Investor appetite for Ghana’s petroleum sector dips significantly – Alliance of CSOs
- DDE: Labour holds government to ‘exemption to all pension funds’ promise
- Own your look with oraimo’s shaving products for the perfect shave
- Enough is enough – Sergio Manucho fumes at ungrateful musicians
- 4 suspects in Haiti president’s killing sent to US
- Francis Addai Nimoh formally declares intention to contest for NPP flagbearership race
- Full text: NDC’s Moment Of Truth speech on Auditor-Generals Report on government’s Covid expenditures
- EuroCham, Agribusiness Chamber to launch a platform to increase investments in agric
- I’ve been loyal to NPP despite being sidelined by Akufo-Addo – Addai-Nimoh
- Akufo-Addo approves NHIA Free Elderly Care Policy
- National Rental Assistance Scheme is public-private partnership – Housing Ministry