Audio By Carbonatix
Two US police officers linked to a notorious raid in which young black medic Breonna Taylor was fatally shot have been fired, authorities have said.
Detectives Myles Cosgrove and Joshua Jaynes are the latest officers to be dismissed over the shooting in March last year.
The incident in Kentucky caused outrage, spurring protests against racism and police brutality.
Breonna Taylor: Two Louisville officers fired over roles in shooting https://t.co/t1eVqQzEsQ
— BBC North America (@BBCNorthAmerica) January 6, 2021
Ms Taylor, 26, died when police raided her home in connection to a drug case.
The FBI said Mr Cosgrove fired the shot that killed Ms Taylor at her home in Louisville.
Louisville police dismissed Mr Cosgrove for violating procedures for use of force and failing to use a body camera during the search, the Louisville Courier Journal reported on Wednesday.
Mr Jaynes, the newspaper said, was fired for violating the police force's policy for truthfulness and search warrant preparation.
During the raid, Ms Taylor's boyfriend fired at the officers who he said he believed were attackers breaking into their home.
Police say they knocked on the door to announce their presence before breaking down the door with a battering ram.
Ms Taylor's boyfriend said police did not make their presence known, and he fired out of self-defence. Three officers returned fire with 32 shots, six of which hit Ms Taylor.
Ms Taylor's name became a global rallying cry as people demanded a thorough investigation into her death.
Black Lives Matter activists in the US have demanded that Louisville police take stronger action against the officers in the case and say that police too often escape unpunished after killing members of the public.
But despite the outcry against Ms Taylor's shooting, no criminal charges were sought relating to her death.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
13 minutes -
‘Now it’s action, no talking’ – Rent Control cracks whip on hostel operators
16 minutes -
GACC, Save Our Environment Foundation train Tano South residents on corruption and accountability
18 minutes -
MOGMusic to headline Ransomed Ministries Ghana’s Total Worship 2026
22 minutes -
Multimedia Group pays courtesy call on Petrosol ahead of GSE listing
32 minutes -
Gov’t acknowledges unresolved grievances over mining damage, displacement
32 minutes -
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
35 minutes -
Ghana must legislate minimum community development obligations for mining companies – Mireku Duker
45 minutes -
GoldBod costs could have been minimised with better planning – Prof. Bokpin
46 minutes -
GoldBod operations imposing losses on BoG balance sheet – Prof Bokpin
50 minutes -
Mining must improve lives in host communities, not just national figures – Presidency
59 minutes -
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
1 hour -
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
1 hour -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
1 hour -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
1 hour