Audio By Carbonatix
MP for Ketu South, Abla Dzifa Gomashie has criticised the Energy Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh over his comments on the provision of funds to address the recent Keta tidal waves describing it as bigoted and tribalistic.
In an interview on Asempa FM last week, the Manhyia South MP, popularly known as 'Napo' who also doubles as the Energy Minister, indicated there's no need for government to make allocations for victims of the Keta tidal waves in the 2022 Budget.
According to him, his constituents have experienced similar ordeals, where no intervention was rolled out for them, and therefore he sees no reason why the Finance Minister should cater for the Keta tidal waves in his budget.
Dr. Opoku Prempeh further intimated that he doesn't understand why the opposition NDC would be advocating for government to include their stronghold into government's budget estimates.
"How can you the opposition tell me that I should include funding for construction of Keta sea defence in the budget? Was there budgetary allocation for Kumasi flooding? If Finance Minister includes it, I'll also lead the Kumasi residents to demonstrate", Dr. Opoku Prempeh fumed.
But reacting to these comments on News Night on Monday, the Member of Parliament for the Ketu South constituency, Abla Dzifa Gomashie, criticised her colleague MP for making such 'unparliamentary' remarks.
According to her, the comments by Napo were unbefitting of a Member of Parliament, who serves at the behest of ordinary citizens.
"First of all, I think that is the most unfortunate, 'un-ministerial', non-parliamentary comment I've ever heard in my life. It smacks of bigotry, it smacks of tribalism, it is totally despicable", Dzifa Gomashie said.
The Ketu South MP also quizzed that 'What was he (Napo) drinking or eating before he went into that studio?' Adding that, " You know, we all have a certain side of life that can be confrontational or aggressive or uncivilized. I don't know why he had to show that to me and my people?", the MP said.
Having expressed her disgust and revulsion at the Energy Minsiter's remarks, she also criticised the government for the poor handling of the Keta tidal waves.
Meanwhile, addressing a presser on Monday, the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, announced a ₵10million allocation to begin a feasibility study, to address the Keta tidal waves which displaced thousands of local residents some weeks ago.
The announcement by the Finance Minister, was part of concessions by government in the 2022 Budget, following some demands by the Minority Caucus and sentiments from the general public regarding the 2022 Budget Statement and Economic Policy.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
24 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
26 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
30 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
35 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
36 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
41 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
46 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
48 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
49 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
52 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
58 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
1 hour -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
1 hour -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
1 hour -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour