The members of Cape Coast Metropolitan Assembly have blamed the Electoral Commission (EC) for the chaos the characterised Sunday’s confirmation of the President’s nominee for MCE, Ernest Arthur.
Mr Arthur had been rejected twice by the assembly members but had one more chance to secure two-thirds of the total votes cast.
Although Mr Arthur polled 45 out of the 63 total votes cast to claim the position, the voting did not go on smoothly as a fight erupted after an unidentified person allegedly snatched some ballot papers.
In an interview with JoyNews’ Richard Kwadwo Nyarko, some assembly members said they were very disappointed since the EC decided to continue with the collation even though some ballots had been snatched.
They mentioned that although they had earlier pledged to be decorous, the EC failed to hold up their end of the deal.
“We requested that there was an agent, but the EC did not have any agents when they started counting. This, we find very unlawful.
“After that, you saw all the things that happened. Somebody came to snatch some of the papers; so we didn’t even know the number; we didn’t know what was going on. Everything was messed up, and we blame the EC for all this,” one of them said.
However, 45 minutes after the entire commotion, Ernest Arthur was sworn in at a brief ceremony at the Centre for National Culture in Cape Coast.
According to the now confirmed MCE, the chaos has been a drawback as it’s the handiwork of the Cape Coast MP whose party faithful were not in support of his nomination due to the political differences.
He, however, stated that the division in the assembly would not reflect his work because he is not a divisive person.
“I will work together in harmony with elected and appointed members in the area,” he assured.
- Al Sadd and Andre Ayew agree to contract termination
- Close down Office of the Auditor-General – GHAMRO CEO fumes
- Ghana officially opens its market to US pork and pork products export
- Monkeypox Outbreak: Ghana records four deaths, 116 cases
- Over 4,000 Burkinabes seek asylum in Bawku West District
- Oyibi Food Poisoning: 53 persons experienced symptoms of foodborne diseases – FDA
- Minority Leadership Change: Party is not divided – Asiedu Nketia assures NDC-UK
- Adomfe goes sombre as cop, family killed in fire are buried
- CHAN 2022: Black Galaxies suffer shock exit after Niger defeat
- Police interdict officer for leaving rifle in commercial vehicle
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- Finance Minister may attempt to woo individual bondholders with new terms – Martin Kpebu
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- Full list of winners at 47th SWAG Awards gala
- Playback: The Probe discusses Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Dr Ibn Kailan Abdul-Hamid appointed Head of UPSA’s Department of Marketing
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- CHAN 2022: CAF confirms change in kickoff time for final
- Newcastle sign Everton forward Anthony Gordon in £45m deal
- ‘We wanted a fresh start in 2023, but we have been worse’ – Klopp
- Brighton knock holders Liverpool out of FA Cup
- Moises Caicedo made ‘mistake’ asking to leave Brighton, says Roberto de Zerbi
- Pedri winner extends Barca’s La Liga advantage
- Chelsea sign teenage right-back Malo Gusto from Lyon in £31m deal
- Ghana signs agreements with Saudi Arabia on Hajj 2023