Audio By Carbonatix
The Cape Coast Sports Stadium, started by the past administration has been left to rot as the 32-acre land secured for the project is currently being used for other purposes.
The stadium grounds now houses mechanics, a driving school and a community football park, according to Peace FM’s Central Regional correspondent Kwabena Marfo who was reporting from the grounds.
He added that a building in the middle of the stadium grounds is also being used by prostitutes as a brothel.
Kwabena Marfo added that no work has been done on the ground after the New Patriotic Party left power in 2009.
Former Central Regional Minister Nana Ato Arthur told peace FM in an interview Tuesday, that all preparatory works were done and the contract awarded before the Kufour administration left office.
He explained that owners of some structures on the grounds which were demolished were compensated, though he admitted that not all were given compensation.
There were six permanent structures on the grounds, he said, but it was four out of those structures whose owners were compensated.
Nana Arthur further explained that out of the total cost of GH¢409,302.14 for the six structures, GH¢320,942.83 was paid to cover the four. He said it was the other two permanent structures as well as other temporary structures like kiosks whose owners the government was unable to pay compensation to before relinquishing power.
The former minister added that all documents covering the contract was submitted to the ministry responsible for the project.
However, Central Regional Minister Ama Benyiwa Doe, also speaking on the same network, discounted suggestions that the Mills-led government was unwilling to continue with the building of the stadium.
She explained that documents she came to meet upon assumption of office indicated that the preparatory works done was to the tune of GHS5,469,158.93 out of which the Kufour government paid GHS3,110,407.02.
She said the current administration has paid GHS2,358,789.91 and that the amount only had to do with structures that were on the proposed grounds which had to be demolished to pave way for clearing the land. She added that the Mills administration also inherited GHS230,000 land compensation cost which it has paid.
Madam Benyiwa-Doe maintained that there was nothing on record at the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) to indicate the past government signed any contractual agreement with any company to build the stadium, adding that President Mills has solicited help from a Chinese company that has agreed to build the stadium.
Story by Dorcas Efe Mensah/myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
29 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
33 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
57 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours