The Ghanaian local currency- cedi- has appreciated by about 0.6% to the US dollar since the beginning of this year, the Bank of Ghana has indicated in its March 2021 Summary of Economic and Financial Data.
This confirms the strong performance of the cedi since last year, which it achieved a record 3.9% depreciation to the world’s most important currency.
The Central Bank’s figures put the trading value of the cedi to the dollar at GH¢5.727.
The cedi’s 2020 performance made it one of the best performing currencies in Sub Saharan Africa.
Its impressive performance also made it the best since 2017 when it depreciated by only 4.88%.
At the forex bureau, the rate of depreciation was even lower at 2.2%.
Analysts believed the cedi benefited from a myriad of factors including the Bank of Ghana’s Forex Forward Auction and the diversified exports.
“This sets a favourable entry into 2021. The expectations are for the GHS [cedi] to remain well supported in Q1-2021 [quarter one 2021] by the improved regulatory oversight, enhanced FX [foreign exchange] forward allotments and continued improvements in risk appetite of non-resident investors’, Courage Kingsley Martey, Senior Economic Analyst at Databank said.
For the euro, the cedi has appreciated by 3.5% but declined in value by 1.3% to the British pound.
Cedi forecast to end year at lower depreciation rate
Many organizations have projected a lower depreciation of the cedi to the dollar this year.
For instance, Databank Research, is predicting a GH¢6.18 to the dollar end year rate in 2021.
This will be 3.02% depreciation and lower than the 3.9% depreciation recorded last year.
“The Ghana cedi appears well supported for another year of relative stability but not without pressure points. We forecast full year 2021 depreciation range of 3.02% – 6.18%”, it said in its 2021 Economic Outlook Report.
Factors that could support the Ghanaian local currency this year include the planned Eurobond issuance and a modest recovery in oil export receipts without significant loss in gold revenue.
Recent historical performance of the cedi to dollar
- Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
- Ghana Month Series: Sunyani Traditional Area discounts Krontihene’s narration of historical facts
- Playback: Finance Minister addresses nation amidst #FixTheCountry protest
- #FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
- #FixTheCountry: Mere speeches won’t cut it, people want something substantive – Protestors tell Finance Minister
- Government will address issues raised by #FixTheCountry conveners – Ofori-Atta
- Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
- #FixTheCountry convener’s claim of phone cloning false and baseless – Oppong Nkrumah
- #FixTheCountry: I’ve always supported the agenda since the beginning of my career – Sarkodie
- Prof Sitsofe Enyonam Anku
30 communities in Central and Greater Accra Regions to experience ‘dumsor’
Today’s front pages: Monday, May 10, 2021
Debt increase of 137% between 2016 and 2020 lower than previous administrations – Ofori-Atta
Old students of Wesley Girls refute claims of banning a specific religious group from fasting
Abdul Karim Ibrahim: #FixTheCountry – Governance is not a bride, we refuse to be in-laws to the political class
Real Madrid miss chance to go top after Sevilla draw
Juventus drop out of top four after Milan defeat
Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Sec.-Gen. – on the death of Lt. Gen. Erskine – first UNIFIL Force Commander
Man Utd comeback at Aston Villa keeps Man City waiting on title
Francis-Xavier Sosu: CNN interview – Akufo-Addo lied or has lost touch with reality in Ghana
Cinco de Mayo, marked in Ghana with La Cocina Mexicana
Queen mothers lobby for appointment of female as Kwaebibrem MCE
#FixTheCountry: If all we need is patience, then government is misreading our demand – Barker-Vormawor
Let us #FixTheCountryTogether – Ofori-Atta urges Ghanaians
2020 Election petition: We paid our lawyers well to do a good job – Bossman Asare