Former Editor of Kotoko Express, Jeremome Otchere says the current Techincal Director of the Black Stars cannot be considered for the position of head coach.
Speaking on JoyNews‘ PM Express, he stated that having Bernhard Lippert as the new head coach to replace Charles Akonnor would not aid the progress of the national team just as the previous administration failed to.
“From what I am hearing, if it is going to the Technical Director who has been around us, then we are only replacing a dead man with a man lying on his death bed. What I have heard is that the Technical Director as we have now is being considered,” Mr Otchere said on Monday.
His comments was in response to the Ghana Football Association’s (GFA) search for a head coach after CK Akonnor was sacked from post.
The GFA today, September 13, terminated the appointment of Mr Charles Akonnor and his two assiants.
Reports reaching JoyNews revealed that Akonnor was stripped off his position due to his performance as head coach especially in the last four games of the national team in Group G World Cup qualifying matches against Ethiopia and South Africa.
According to Mr Otchere, the country should not expect anything short of growth from the Black Stars if it fails to adopt the mechanisms set up by countries that are making names for their natiomal teams.
“We need to be serious as a country. From everything the three of us have been saying, it paints the picture of a country that believes that we can do just anything and still get the kind of results that others who are serious are getting.
“Check the countries that have been in the last two or three World Cups and you’d know the caliber of coaches they have. They are not coaches who are owed 8 to 10 months salary and they are still on the job. They are not that kind of coaches. We seem to think that at that level, it is about hope and prayer.
“Everything we are doing doesn’t show that we are serious,” he added.
He advised that the GFA go for a coach whose calibre fits the expectation of the people. Mr Jeorme Okyere noted that such a coach could earn a minimum of $80,000 per month.
Mr Otchere remained certain that if the new head coach to be appointed is not given the right space to work, the current non-performance of the national team will remain same.
“If the coach comes in and he will not be given the freedom to work, we are going to come back to this position again because we still want to do things the way we like it and not like as others do it professionally,” he said.
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- Deadline for Domestic Debt Exchange Programme extended to Feb 7
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership rancour is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Debt Exchange: NIC to suspend minimum capital requirements, CAR of insurance firms for 2 years
- Chicago prosecutor drops R Kelly’s sex-abuse charges
- Leicester City sign Ghanaian youngster Nathan Opoku
- Ghana places 72nd, stagnates in 2022 Corruption Perceptions Index
- Alternative Livelihoods Project: 3,000 former illegal miners gain employment
- Record Botswana diamond sales in 2022 as Russia shunned
- Housemate to be charged over murder of LGBTQ activist
- Idris Elba in talks to open film studio in Tanzania
- Thomas Moore Adingo: Why should private health insurance players be unhappy with GAB activities?
- Nigeria election 2023: The oil land with no electricity
- Pope in DR Congo: ‘Hands off Africa’ says Pope Francis in Kinshasa speech
- Empire Builders staff appeal to government to protect them, prevent sale of their lands
- Jorginho moves from Chelsea to the Gunners in a deal worth £12m
- Civil Society Organisations urged to step up HIV/AIDS awareness campaigns
- Chelsea agree British record £106m fee for Benfica midfielder Enzo Fernandez
- DDE: State regulators accommodating fiscal slippages is what has brought us here – Prof. Bokpin
- “He Only tried to get the best of his trip” – Stonebwoy on Meek Mill Jubilee House video
- Paramount Chief of Sunyani, queen mother cited for contempt of court
- DDE: Don’t fret, you can self-exempt – Senyo Hosi to individual bondholders