Mass testing for coronavirus is to be rolled out in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire using new testing kits that can deliver results in 15 minutes.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the city and county were among 66 areas that would each receive 10,000 lateral flow tests later this week.
It follows a mass testing programme in Liverpool that has seen more than 23,000 people tested since Friday.
Mr Hancock said the new tests would help detect asymptomatic cases.
The county is among 66 areas due to be given tests that can deliver results in 15 minutes https://t.co/v7x58H8EIk— BBC East Midlands (@bbcemt) November 10, 2020
Last month, Nottingham recorded the highest seven-day infection rate in the UK – over 1,000 cases per 100,000 people at one point – but the rate has since dropped to 353.
Mr Hancock said: “Last week we rolled out mass testing in Liverpool using new, rapid technology so we can detect this virus quicker than ever before, even in people who don’t have symptoms.
“Mass testing is a vital tool to help us control this virus and get life more normal.
“I am delighted to say 10,000 of these tests will now be sent out by NHS Test and Trace to over 50 directors of public health as part of our asymptomatic testing strategy.”
The Department of Health and Social Care has now confirmed the areas which will be getting a share of the initial 600,000 batch.
It added it will be up to individual directors of public health to decide how testing is organised.
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- Economic crisis: Things will get better; but not this year – Badu-Aboagye
- Burkina Faso offers bounty for 20 ‘wanted terrorists’
- Boy, 14, hired to animate Spider-Man film
- OSP’s invite should extend to current IMCIM members – Dr Ken Ashigbey
- I wish Ghana could be like Germany – Prof Frimpong-Boateng on Green Ghana project
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Adane Best, Epoxide, others for Ghana Day Festival in Switzerland
- Namibia bans export of unprocessed critical minerals
- Green Ghana Day: Continue nurturing trees for them to reach maturity – Lands Minister urges
- ‘Spiritualist’ on trial for allegedly defrauding client of GHȼ85,000
- Man arrested after attacking pastor in church over ‘fake prophecy’
- BET Awards 2023 nominations announced; Drake takes the lead with 7 nods
- Ghana may find it difficult to get debt relief of $10.5bn – Theo Acheampong
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- External debt suspension helped current account balance into surplus
- Camidoh releases ‘LITA’ mixtape