Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni has addressed the country’s parliament virtually, and continued to challenge social media reports that he was seriously ill and in intensive care.
The president, who was diagnosed with Covid-19 last week, tweeted on Wednesday that he was free of symptoms, although he has continued to test positive over several days.
He thanked Ugandans who have been praying for him and sending messages for his quick recovery.
He joked that he was now a “veteran of corona”.
His virtual address was a first, because if he was Covid-free, the president would have physically addressed parliament during the reading of the national budget.
Finance Minister Matia Kasaija, who delivered the budget speech, told parliament that the country’s economy is expected to continue recovering from the effects of the pandemic.
The size of the economy is now estimated at about $50bn (£39bn) and is projected to grow at a rate of 5.5% in this financial year.
The government aims to create 2.5 million jobs in the next five years, according to the budget speech.
Mr Museveni said that the strategy would continue to focus on infrastructure, industrialisation and value addition to agricultural products for economic growth.
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned
- Bob Menendez steps down as US Senate foreign relations chairman after indictment
- MohBad mourners teargassed at Nigeria’s Lekki toll gate after Lagos concert