Audio By Carbonatix
Twitter has told its employees to work from home to help stop the spread of the coronavirus.
In a blog post, the social media giant said it was mandatory for staff in Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea to work remotely.
The company also said it was "strongly encouraging" all of its 5,000 employees around the world to not come into work.
It comes a day after the firm banned all non-essential business travel and events for its workers.
The company had already announced that it was pulling out of this month's South by Southwest media conference in Austin, Texas.
Twitter's head of human resources Jennifer Christie said: "Our goal is to lower the probability of the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus for us - and the world around us."
The post also highlighted that Twitter has been developing ways to work from home for some time: "While this is a big change for us, we have already been moving towards a more distributed workforce that's increasingly remote. We're a global service and we're committed to enabling anyone, anywhere to work at Twitter."
Twitter's chief executive Jack Dorsey has long-supported remote working and in November announced plans to live in Africa for up to six months of this year.
The move is similar to measures put in place by many companies in Asia as the virus sweeps the region, but goes further than most big American businesses as they respond to the outbreak.
Other leading technology companies, including Facebook and Google, have postponed or cancelled conferences in the US. Facebook has also joined Twitter by pulling out of South by Southwest.
Staff at Google's European headquarters in Dublin will work from home on Tuesday as the company tests its preparedness for a potential outbreak in Ireland, but most of the 8,000 workers are expected to return to their desks on Wednesday.
At the same time companies, including telecoms operator A&T and banking giant Citigroup, have restricted international travel, especially to Asia.
The announcement comes as deaths due to the coronavirus around the world have passed 3,000 as the outbreak spreads from Asia to the US, Europe and the Middle East.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
24 Hour Economy Secretariat engages Bank of Ghana on policy alignment
4 minutes -
The fugu fight: A lesson in identity, a reminder of our power in unity
9 minutes -
Minority Whips are the backbone of my leadership – Afenyo-Markin
12 minutes -
Mahama to present historic resolution on slave trade to UN in March
52 minutes -
Tanker blast: NRSA presses for safety reforms
58 minutes -
Ghana, Lebanon deepen security cooperation after high-level talks in Accra
58 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has made no real impact after one year in office – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
National Apprenticeship Programme targets 2,000 youth in Ashanti Region
1 hour -
I will hold government accountable without obstructing Parliament – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Kennedy Agyapong gave me $5m without any agreement – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Bawumia’s post-primary unity drive commendable – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Mahama rallies his fellow world leaders to support Accra Reset
1 hour -
Take integrity, discipline as guiding principles – Chief Justice to law students
1 hour -
GACL calls for domestic, intra-regional flight growth
1 hour -
24-Hour Economy is more of a campaign slogan than policy – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours
