Audio By Carbonatix
The undercover Ghanaian journalist who filmed soccer officials appearing to take bribes said on Monday that African football will continue to be held back on the world stage unless corruption is tackled more vigorously.
Anas Aremeyaw Anas released a documentary last week showing African football officials, including 77 referees and Ghana’s soccer chief Kwesi Nyantakyi, allegedly taking bribes.
The documentary generated widespread uproar, prompting Ghana to launch a process to dissolve its national soccer union. On Friday, Nyantakyi said he was resigning after he was suspended by world football’s governing body FIFA.
“I think that we in Africa would have done better at the world (soccer) stage if we had not allowed people to infiltrate the camps of football setting,” he said in an interview with Reuters in Accra.
“If you had people who will sit down and fix a match and determine what the outcome will be, that is not fair to African football. If referees can sell yellow card, sell red card, sell goals, then you’re looking at a very bleak future of African football.”
He said in many instances, unqualified players were put in matches to play because someone was paid.
Massive fallout from expose
Anas told Reuters he expected a much bigger fallout from the documentary across the continent as ordinary citizens and civil groups have been yearning for a clean-up of African football.
“What you have seen in Ghana is a tip of the iceberg. The story is now beginning to unfold and within the next two-three weeks I am sure you’re going to start reading the impact,” he said.
Football is by far the most popular sport in Ghana, though the national team failed to reach this year’s World Cup finals.
Anas said that in addition to hampering Africa’s standing in world football, corruption was also weakening the bonds that the game forges among the people.
“Football is supposed to be a game that unites Africans despite the political differences … our hearts and minds are with football and we must not allow corruption to kill that unity,” he added.
Anas said he has received death threats over his work in exposing corruption but added he was proud of what he was doing.
“I could die today but if I do, at least, I’ll look back with a lot of pride that when that opportunity came I took it and I worked hard towards it,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Minority Leader slams Mahama’s gov’t over…
5 minutes -
52-old-year cabbie killed in crash on Wenchi–Wa Highway
13 minutes -
Mamprugu Traditional Council calls for probe into alleged abuses linked to Bawku conflict
16 minutes -
Midie schoolchildren wade through mud daily to access education
19 minutes -
Osei Tutu SHS parents appeal for support to complete classroom block
25 minutes -
Heavy Thursday downpour inundates Cape Coast
25 minutes -
Galamsey: Conveners disappointed as police cancel street protest
28 minutes -
Rev Enoch Thompson elected Christian Council Chairman
31 minutes -
Rebranded PNC will be formidable force for 2028 elections – Mornah
36 minutes -
Ghana’s digital cedi targets cross-border trade, financial integration
39 minutes -
Traders at Kotokuraba jubilate over restoration of GN Bank’s licence
41 minutes -
Government announces support package for South Africa evacuees
42 minutes -
AGI seeks incentives for renewable energy projects
48 minutes -
First non-Interest bank expected in Ghana this year – BoG Governor
57 minutes -
Scientist identified more B6 vitamin in Beer than previously anticipated
1 hour