Police have captured Peter Madsen, the Danish inventor found guilty of the mutilation and murder of Swedish journalist Kim Wall, after he briefly escaped from a jail near Denmark’s capital.
Madsen was caught 430 yards (400 meters) away from Herstedvester prison shortly after 10 a.m. CET (4 a.m. ET) as he tried to flee on Tuesday, according to the Western Copenhagen police.
Danish news networks showed dramatic footage of Madsen as he was detained, surrounded by police cars. In the footage, two snipers could be seen lying flat on the ground with their rifles pointed at Madsen as he sat down on the ground, with his back against a hedge.
Madsen is serving a life sentence for the murder and mutilation of Wall, who was killed aboard his submarine in 2017.
Wall, a promising 30-year-old journalist, was last seen boarding Madsen’s self-built submarine in Copenhagen on August 10, 2017, when she had planned to interview him for an upcoming article.
She disappeared and her torso washed up on an island near Copenhagen on August 21. Her head and legs were found weeks later.
Madsen was found guilty on all three charges he faced: premeditated murder, the indecent handling of a corpse and “sexual relations other than intercourse of a particularly dangerous nature,” evidenced by stab wounds inside and outside Wall’s genital area.
He consistently denied charges of murder and sexual assault, claiming Wall died by accident from carbon dioxide poisoning, although he admitted to dismembering her body and tossing it into the sea in a state of panic.
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Some OMCs start reducing fuel prices, GOIL down by 3.5%
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- Cyril Ramaphosa: South African president faces threat of impeachment over ‘Farmgate’
- Moody’s downgrade is a signal that investors must exercise patience – Prof. Peprah
- Seek out Vulture investors now – Prof. Peprah to Ofori-Atta
- Banks, investment firms have not acted fairly towards Ghanaian investors – Dr. Atuahene
- National Queen Mothers Platform joins fight against illegal mining
- Defer interest payments and pay principals – Prof. Peprah
- Harmattan Season: Wildfires destroy food crops in North-East Region
- NHIA opens new office at Mion
- Second Lady calls for comprehensive development of children
- Include persons with mental health conditions in immunization programmes – MindFreedom Ghana to GHS
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians – Prof. Stephen Adei
- Directors of ‘The Woman King’ auditioned me for a role – Prince David Osei
- Government’s management of economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Supreme Court dismisses suit against GRA’s pay 30% before challenging Act
- If your music penetrates China, then you have done enough as an artiste – Kuami Eugene