The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) in Kano, in the north of the country, says that one doctor has died after testing positive for coronavirus.
State NMA chairman, Dr Sanusi Mohammad Bala, told the BBC that 33 other doctors had also tested positive, but they were in a stable condition. There are around 1,500 doctors in all in Kano state.
Private hospitals provide over half of all healthcare in the state. But they have been closed due to coronavirus fears, placing a large strain on the public facilities.
Nigeria’s Centre for Disease Control has sent a support team to Kano after gravediggers reported a higher than usual number of people dying. The investigation is ongoing.
Kano now has the 397 confirmed cases of coronavirus, the second highest number in Nigeria.
Thirty-two cases have been confirmed in the northern state in the past 24 hours.
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- Kwabena Agyepong welcomed back to NPP after 6 years suspension
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received one – Coach
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Former students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
Military not harassing legal miners – Dominic Nitiwul
2021 Wolves Cup to be launched on Wednesday
Israel: Hamas launches rocket attack on Tel Aviv
Military taskforce deployed to fight illegal mining facing local resistance – Defense Minister
Manchester City win Premier League title after Manchester United lose to Leicester
Soyuncu’s header gives Leicester win at Man Utd to hand Man City title
3 communities in Krachi East Municipality calls on government for portable water
3 police officers, others remanded for alleged secret burial
Decision to reinstate Kwabena Agyepong was unanimous – Freddie Blay
Military fight illegal miners in ‘Operation Halt’
One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
Ashanti Region: Fire kills eight in first quarter of 2021
Power outages in parts of Accra to last 8 days – ECG, GRIDCO