Audio By Carbonatix
Didier Drogba's future at Chelsea looks increasingly precarious after manager Luis Felipe Scolari left him out of his squad for the second time in four days.
Scolari opted for youngsters Miroslav Stoch and Franco Di Santo for the 2-1 comeback win over Stoke, insisting they offered him more than the Ivorian.
"It was my choice not to have Drogba," said a defiant Scolari.
"I don't have anything against Drogba. I am the coach, it was my choice and today two young kids offered me more."
The decision to leave Drogba out of the squad once again raises the possibility that the player may be sold in the January transfer window.
The 29-year-old, signed from Marseille for ÂŁ24m in July 2004, has been linked with a move to Inter Milan, coached by former Blues boss Jose Mourinho.
Chelsea have consistently said Drogba will not be sold, but Scolari suggested on Saturday that he could leave Stamford Bridge if an offer was big enough.
Scolari suggested the decision to include Stoch and Di Santo in the squad to face Stoke represented a change in philosophy at the club, with more emphasis on blooding young talent that signing expensive stars.
As it turned out, both players came off the bench to inspire Chelsea's fightback.
"Di Santo is a young boy. He came on the pitch and helped us," said Scolari. "Miroslav Stoch is a young boy and he helped us.
"This is the way for Chelsea in this moment. I have to follow the idea of the board and my idea for the future of Chelsea."
Drogba was also left out of the Chelsea squad for the midweek FA Cup replay at Southend.
Scolari says the forward might come into the reckoning for next weekend's FA Cup fourth-round clash at home to Championship side Ipswich.
"He is training every day. Maybe next week, I choose him to play," said the Brazilian. "It is a choice of mine, that's all."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
4 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
4 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
4 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
4 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
4 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
4 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
5 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
5 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
5 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
5 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
5 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
6 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
6 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
6 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
6 hours