Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) is standing its grounds that recent power outages in the country are not a result of ongoing construction works at various Bulk Power Supply Point (BPS) as indicated by the Energy Minister.
According to Ranking Member on Parliament’s Committee on Mines and Energy, John Abdulai Jinapor, claims by the government that the BPS are being constructed to salvage Ghana's current energy situation are unfounded.
He insists the Energy Sector is in crisis.
"There are outages all over the country: people are complaining and government wants to use an isolated bulk supply point to try and justify what is happening. What has a Bulk Supply Point in Kasoa got to do with Kumasi, the Volta Region, Tamale, and other parts of the country?" he said.
The comment forms part of discussions on recent power challenges being experienced in the country.
The Minority Caucus in Parliament, Wednesday, called on government to come clean on the country's current power situation.
The Ranking Member on Parliament’s Committee on Mines and Energy at a press conference attributed the situation to political interference.
However, Dr Matthew Opoku-Prempeh, the Energy Minister, in response to this, has debunked the claims.
Speaking Thursday on Joy FM's Top Story, Mr Jinapor also noted that the Bulk Power Supply Points were initiated by the Mahama administration and inherited by the Akufo-Addo led administration.
"The Bulk Supply Point at Pokuase and Mallam were initiated and started by the under the Millenium Challenge Cooperation. The Ministry has issued a statement to claim that they are working on the projects to salvage the situation, which is untrue. It was to consolidate our efforts," he said.
Meanwhile, the Energy Minister in the statement indicated that "the Bulk Power Supply Point (BPS) being constructed at Pokuase in the Greater Accra Region is 95% complete and scheduled for handover to the government at the end of July 2021."
"Sixty percent of construction work has so far been done on the $50 million gas-insulated switchgear (GIS) substation, with engineers assuring the Minister that the infrastructure will be ready by the end of August this year," he added.
Latest Stories
-
Dominic Nitiwul criticises President Mahama over absence of Defence Minister after Burkina attack
25 minutes -
GhISP strengthens GVCA-led efforts to expand capital access for local SMEs
59 minutes -
Ghana’s security exposed by Defence Ministry vacancy – Nitiwul
1 hour -
MOBA commences historic 150th anniversary celebration rooted in faith and national service
2 hours -
MiDA calls on chiefs to free land for President Mahama’s project
2 hours -
Timing Trouble: Why Mexico friendly threatens Ghana’s World Cup readiness
2 hours -
GHS issues new security, patient care directives after Mamprobi baby theft
2 hours -
Gov’t urged to provide psychological support for victims following foreign national scandal
2 hours -
Forty Under 40 Africa Summit declares ‘End of African Apology’ at Accra gathering
2 hours -
Ghana remains 4th in Africa with highest debt to IMF
3 hours -
Minerals Commission revokes over 300 licences in push to reclaim Ghanaian control of mining sector
3 hours -
2026 UG Corporate Games: Ghana Civil Aviation Authority secures big win
3 hours -
No extradition treaty makes justice for Russian suspect difficult – Criminologist
3 hours -
Speaker faults NDC, NPP over absence of female candidates in Ayawaso East by-election
3 hours -
“We are not creating a parallel financial system”-BoG Governor on Virtual Asset regulation
3 hours
