Audio By Carbonatix
The Ministry of Railways Development has opened responses to the Request for Qualification that had been issued to various companies shortlisted for the construction of the Eastern Rail Line project on a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis.
The Eastern Railway Line links Accra to Kumasi with a branch line from Achimota to Tema port.
The total track length is 330 km, and the gauge is 1,067 mm.
Apart from the stretch from Accra to Nsawam and Accra to Tema which are being used for passenger traffic, the line is currently not operational due to its poor state.
The reconstruction of the Eastern Railway Line will include financing, development and operation of the 330km line and will include the provision of rolling stock, station upgrades, signalling and communication equipment.
The Ministry says it has so far received 15 responses from various countries including USA, France, Germany, China and Ghana.
The documentation of these shortlisted companies, according to the Minister of Railways Development, Joe Ghartey, is being evaluated.
The companies will subsequently be invited to take part in the last stage of the procurement process and the presentation proposals.
“We working hard to ensure that construction of a new Eastern Railway Line commences this year,” the minister revealed.
Accra-Ouagadougou project
Last Monday, the Ministry also opened the responses to the advertisement for the Expression of Interest for the Accra Ouagadougou Railway Project that will be constructed with the Burkinabe government.
Fifteen companies, from the France, United States, Germany, China and Ghana have also expressed interest.
The Accra-Ouagadougou rail project was proposed by President Akufo-Addo and his Burkinabe counterpart, Roch Marc Christian Kaboré and is in line with Article 32 Paragraph (a) of the revised Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Treaty.
The treaty which encourages member states to evolve common transport and communications policies, laws and regulations among themselves.
The project is scheduled to be completed by the end of October 2020.
Latest Stories
-
High costs, no water and unemployment threatening industrial growth, says AGI president
1 minute -
Gov’t to raise GH₵30bn through syndicated domestic bond to bail COCOBOD – Sagnarigu MP
11 minutes -
Brake failure claims life of trader in Kaase Gas tanker crash
15 minutes -
Majority, Minority clash over bill to revert NIB name to BNI and overhaul National Security structure
21 minutes -
Water crisis disrupting production – AGI president warns industrialisation at risk
26 minutes -
Office of Ga Mantse breaks silence on accident
28 minutes -
COCOBOD debt exceeded assets under NPP – Otokunor
34 minutes -
Samson Ahi labels Sehwi Wiawso cocoa protest politically engineered; points fingers at NPP
39 minutes -
Adongo accuses Akufo-Addo’s appointees of mismanaging COCOBOD; says they need ‘whipping’
44 minutes -
Trade Ministry denounces terror attack on Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
50 minutes -
Adongo dismisses COCOBOD bailout call, blames crisis on past Akufo-Addo government
55 minutes -
GRA prepares to meet GH¢360bn revenue target for 2028
1 hour -
We must refuse to be intimidated – Veep Prof Opoku-Agyemang challenges women
1 hour -
GRA to enforce Physical and Electronic Devices Act this year – Commissioner-General
1 hour -
NPP should be the last to comment on cocoa issues – Otokunor
1 hour
