Audio By Carbonatix
Political Science Lecturer at the University of Ghana, Prof. Ransford Gyampo, has shared his views on the Electoral Commission’s (EC) decision to restrict media access to collation centres during the 2024 general elections.
Read also: Election 2024: MFWA urges EC to lift media access restrictions at collation centres
He wondered what the rationale could be for the Commission to decide not to grant all media houses access to the collation centres.
In an interview on Joy FM's Super Morning Show on Wednesday, November 27, Prof Gyampo stated that he would usually want to communicate directly with EC officials to obtain a thorough explanation of the situation in previous years.
“I also kept asking myself, what was the situation previously? How were some of these things done? Was it that everybody had access to the place? Did every media practitioner have access, or not? What was the situation?” he queried.
Prof Gyampo further questioned the objectives of the sudden restrictions on access to the collation centres, asserting also that if for the sake of transparency, all accredited media houses were previously allowed access to the centres, he saw no reason why there should now be restrictions or denied access.
“The point is that if previously media houses, for the sake of transparency, have all been allowed, I don’t see why there will now be restrictions,” he said.
He also stated that transparency is the EC’s fundamental goal, therefore, it is expected of them to ensure that their processes are not interfered with.
Prof Gyampo emphasized the fact that granting accredited media houses access to cover the collation of election results at the collation centres would generate a greater sense of transparency.
“So, if having more media houses there to ensure that they report on whatever is going on there to the public will bring about more transparency, I think I would support that,” he added.
However, he clarified that it should not be an open invitation for unaccredited media practitioners to gain access.
He advised that the Commission should clarify its decision and engage with the media to explain the reasons for the pronouncement.
“I think that the Commission should sit and engage more with you in the media and explain to you the rationale for wanting to impose that restriction,” he suggested.
He emphasized that once the EC thoroughly engages with the media on their decision, it would provide clarity and prevent suspicions about the matter. He expressed his belief that the EC would not hide anything from the people of Ghana.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
4 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
4 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
4 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
4 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
4 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
5 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
5 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
5 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
5 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
5 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
5 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
6 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
6 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
6 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
7 hours
