It’s AshGold versus Berekum Chelsea at the Golden City Park on Friday.
In short, for the Miners, the league title in sight.
Since week one, Bashir Hayford’s side have displayed free flowing attacking football, commitment and – crucially, a desire bent on winning this year’s league. The setting to bring this triumph closer could not have been at any better place than Berekum.
But make no mistake, they face a formidable side who are unbeaten in their 13 home games this season.
The Berekum side have enjoyed a fairytale season and no one will bet against them adding another to the script before the season ends.
Chelsea began the season in financial crisis and had their points ducked. Essentially, their points haul at a point was negative.
After a series of appeals, they reclaimed their points, and then went on an incredible run in the second round which saw them breaking their 30 match winless streak away from home.
Then they topped it off with being two points behind AshGold, an advantage they lost only in the last fortnight.
Can they add a victory over the Obuasi side to further open the title race?
This game has all the makings for an interesting game on Saturday with both teams fighting hard to achieve individual goals.
A win for the Miners will put pressure on Aduana in their game against Heart of Lions while Chelsea will go in search of extending their unbeaten home record which dates back to December 30, 2012.
The Blues have had the better of the two sides' meetings: winning four of their previous 11 meetings with the Miners winning only three.
The corresponding fixture ended 1-0 in favor of Bashir Hayford’s men who will take a win of any kind tomorrow.
“We make sure we will go to Berekum Chelsea and pick the points so our last matches will be a formality so that we go and collect our cup and bring it to Obuasi,” Hayford said.
His words depict confidence but he will have to devise means of stopping the deadly strike force of Stephen Baffour and Kofi Owusu who have combined to score 26 of Chelsea’s 37 goals.
If fans are assured of anything on Friday, it should be goals. Both teams are leading the scoring chart with a combined total of 68 goals between them.
Follow Kweku on Twitter: @nana_odum. Get more updates on Facebook/Twitter with the #JoySports hashtag
- Don’t fall for the drama; NDC has cut a deal with NPP to pass 2022 budget – Ernesto Yeboah alleges
- Speaker Bagbin is not an MP, but I am – Joseph Osei Owusu defends approval of 2022 budget
- Parliament sets up 20-member Committee to resolve impasse over 2022 budget
- Minority Caucus has betrayed Ghanaians again, joined Akufo-Addo’s Kabuki dance – Martin Amidu
- Kaneshie District Court rescinds bench warrant issued against Francis-Xavier Sosu
- 2022 Budget: Why Parliament was suspended for 1 hour on December 1
- Parliament apologises for chaotic scenes in the House
- Approval of 2022 budget: It would’ve been a full-blown conflict if Minority were in the chamber – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- Economic Fighters League will contest 2024 elections – Ernesto Yeboah
- Asantehene requests expedited efforts to curb power crises in the Ashanti Region
Covid-19: Don’t kiss strangers under mistletoe – UK Minister
Bawumia donates GHC 50k to SWAG Awards
Pernod Ricard Ghana launches road safety campaign
COVID-19: Ghana detects 34 cases of Omicron variant
MHRA approves Xevudy (sotrovimab), a COVID-19 treatment found to cut hospitalisation and death by 79%
Pan-African Writers Association to launch a book in honour of Rawlings
What are the symptoms of Omicron?
Fourth wave takes off in South Africa
2021 NSMQ Champions, Prempeh College presents trophy to Asantehene
South Africa Covid-19 infections double since Monday
NSMQ2021: Prof. Kaufmann challenges female SHS to be more proactive
Re: Daniel Ofori vs Ecobank and others
12 women in court for using ‘juju’ to stop road construction
9 expert-backed strategies to handle rejection from a guy
Parliament sets up 20-member Committee to resolve impasse over 2022 budget