Audio By Carbonatix
FIFA plans to create AI-enabled 3D avatars of every player at the 2026 World Cup to enhance the tournament's semi-automated offside technology.
This will mean creating a digital scan of all 1,248 players in the 26-man squads of the 48 teams.
Each player will enter a chamber to be scanned, a process that should take just one second and only needs to be done once during their pre-tournament photo shoot.
FIFA says the scan "captures highly accurate body-part dimensions" to make more accurate offside decisions.
It expects this to mean tournament officials will be able to "track players reliably during fast or obstructed movements" and says final decisions will be "displayed more realistically and in a more engaging way".
There was controversy in the Premier League earlier this season when a Newcastle goal against Manchester City was allowed to stand.
Ruben Dias appeared to be jumping in the semi-automated offside graphic. This did not match the television pictures of the game.
FIFA hopes that by taking accurate scans of each player, it can improve how these decisions are shown to supporters.
The technology was tested at the Fifa Intercontinental Cup, with Flamengo and Pyramids FC players scanned ahead of their match in December.
FIFA announced last month it was testing new technology which can determine if the ball goes out of play before a goal is scored. It has also developed 'real-time 3D recreation' to make line-of-sight offside decisions.
Latest Stories
-
Many people don’t like sharing their success tips – Mary Anane Awuku
1 minute -
Resurrection of GN Savings and Loans will be tough – Joe Jackson
3 minutes -
SanlamAllianz Life sponsors four Ghanaian athletes for 2026 Cape Town Marathon
5 minutes -
2026 Legacy Expo comes off on June 3, 2026
11 minutes -
CBG deepens financial inclusion drive with expansion of agency banking network
18 minutes -
Non-Performing Loans decline to 18% nut elevated risk remains – BoG
22 minutes -
Cocoa farmers in Ahondwo area appeal for clinic, support services
26 minutes -
Building collapse kills at least 9 people in Morocco’s Fez
27 minutes -
Congo police fire warning shots in burial dispute after suspected Ebola death
31 minutes -
Security officers involved in galamsey will face the law — Lands Ministry
32 minutes -
Keta MCE supports Keta FC with GH¢10,000 ahead of Middle LeagueÂ
33 minutes -
Livestream: JoyNews National Dialogue on Ghana’s youth and climate change
35 minutes -
Wontumi’s fate near as court gives final deadline for witnesses
36 minutes -
We have done no wrong – Group Ndoum says following court victory
38 minutes -
Dr. Gideon Boako warns banks may reject some forex deposits from next month
40 minutes