Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana has not dropped its plans of courting Inter Milan youngster Mario Barwuah Balotelli to play for the Black Stars.
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) threw an invitation to the striker ahead of last year’s Africa Cup of Nations but he turned it down.
Balotelli has since acquired an Italian passport that has given him the opportunity to play for the U-20 side of the European country.
Since then, the youngster has suffered several incidents of racial abuse at the hands of many Italians who taunted him by saying ‘Black Italians don’t exist.’
GFA boss Kwasi Nyantakyi looks keen to exploit the lineage of the player for him to play fot the country of his parents.
“We won’t give up on Balotelli now because if we have somebody like him our team it will be a huge addition,” Nyantakyi said.
“He is such a fine player and on a regular basis we will seek to convince him that Ghana offers him better prospects at international level than Italy does.”
This comes just a day after two Europe-born players, Kevin Boateng and Jeffery Sarpong, declared their intention to switch their international allegiance to play for Ghana.
This has been made possible by a new Fifa rule which removed the age cap on when a player can switch nationality and Nyantakyi says it will benefit Ghana.
“It is those of us in Africa who have players in Europe so the rule change has special meaning for the continent,” Nyantakyi said.“
From a Ghanaian viewpoint, it opens a wonderful opportunity to expand who we can call into the national team.”
Balotelli was born to Ghanaian immigrants in Italy but adopted by an Italian family when he was three and has insisted his heart lies with the Azzuri.
Source: Ghanasoccernet.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
49 seconds -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
10 minutes -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
28 minutes -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
36 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
41 minutes -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
43 minutes -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
46 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
50 minutes -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
53 minutes -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
56 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
59 minutes -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
1 hour -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
1 hour -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
1 hour -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
1 hour