Audio By Carbonatix
The General Secretary of the Conference of Heads of Assisted Senior High Schools (CHASS) Primus Baro, says the government would by the close of Friday, January 17, release funds to feed senior high school students for 31 days only.
According to him, the fund is an emergency intervention by the government following the food shortage faced by the various SHSs nationwide.
"It was for 31 days as instructed by the president and beyond, and when we are able to deal with the issue as it is now I believe it would be a clear direction as to what can be done going forward," he said.
Speaking on Joy FM's Super Morning Show, Mr Baro further disclosed that in a meeting with government officials, it emerged that they have commenced efforts to deliver food supplies directly to schools.
President John Mahama had earlier ordered the distribution of food meant for victims of last year’s drought in the northern part of the country to be redirected to schools. These supplies are currently stored in warehouses at Tema Port.
“At the meeting, it was revealed that out of the 18 food items needed, only two are available at the warehouse. While the supplies are on their way, the Chief of Staff and the President agreed on an immediate decision to provide emergency funds covering 31 days for both day and boarding schools. This will allow schools to mobilise food locally to address the situation quickly,” Mr Baro explained.
Mr Baro added that the government is working to ensure that both the funds and supplies reach the schools by the end of the week.
In addition to the emergency measures, Mr Baro noted that the Chief of Staff, Julius Debrah, has committed to broader consultations with education stakeholders to develop a permanent solution to the recurring challenges in senior high schools.
“There was a clear indication that a wider executive education forum will be held to address these issues. While we wait for this consultation, we hope that the government will provide clear interim directions during this one-month relief period. Feeding and funding for schools cannot be delayed further,” Mr Baro emphasised.
Latest Stories
-
Guirassy stars as Dortmund dispatch Atalanta
4 hours -
Arsenal make Saka best-paid player with new deal
4 hours -
Arteta ‘respectful’ of fans but has felt ‘exposed’
4 hours -
Vinicius’ brilliant winner beats Benfica in match halted for alleged racism
5 hours -
Alcaraz wins ‘difficult’ first match since Melbourne win
5 hours -
Galatasaray hit 5 past Juventus in frenetic first leg
5 hours -
Substitute Desire Doue inspires PSG comeback at Monaco
5 hours -
Mourinho’s ‘big mistake’ after ‘disgusting’ Vinicius incident
5 hours -
Russia denies link to ‘supposed Russian’ in Ghana viral sex scandal
6 hours -
Gov’t summons Russian Ambassador over viral nude leak scandal
6 hours -
Dual nationals face scramble for UK passports as new rules come into force
6 hours -
Police assessing Stansted Airport private flights over Epstein ties
7 hours -
Nine arrested in France over death of far-right student
7 hours -
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
7 hours -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
7 hours
