Audio By Carbonatix
Former Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Inusah Fuseini, has said the findings from the government’s audit of public claims point to clear cases of criminal intent and wilful negligence within the system.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile programme on Saturday, March 14, the Member of Parliament for Tamale Central stressed that the scale of irregularities uncovered could not be dismissed as mere administrative errors.
Mr Fuseini argued that the nature of the discrepancies revealed in the audit suggests deliberate wrongdoing by individuals involved in the processing and approval of claims.
“There must be criminal intent and wilful negligence in what we are seeing,” he said.
“You cannot have duplicated invoices, unsupported documentation, and inflated claims running into billions of cedis and simply describe them as mistakes.”
The comments follow disclosures by the Ministry of Finance in Parliament that GH¢8.1 billion in public claims had been rejected after an audit uncovered irregularities, including duplication, inflated amounts, unsupported documentation, and payments for work that was never done.
Out of GH¢68.7 billion submitted for audit, GH¢45.4 billion was validated for payment, while GH¢13.2 billion was flagged for serious concerns.
Mr Fuseini emphasised that appropriate legal processes must now follow the audit findings.
He said individuals found culpable should be prosecuted to serve as a deterrent and restore public confidence in the management of state resources.
The Ministry of Finance has referred the findings to the Office of the Attorney-General and the Ministry of Justice for possible criminal prosecution. It has also announced a new “triple-lock” accountability framework to strengthen verification and budget controls before payments are approved.
Latest Stories
-
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
27 seconds -
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
5 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
11 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
14 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
17 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
18 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
21 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
22 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
23 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
29 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
37 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
39 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
42 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
47 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
47 minutes