Audio By Carbonatix
President of the Licensed Cocoa Buying Companies (LBCs), Samuel Adimado, has denied claims that the government has instructed cocoa buyers to halt purchases of cocoa beans nationwide amid concerns over delayed payments to farmers.
The denial follows allegations by Frank Annoh-Dompreh, who claimed that LBCs had been told to stop buying cocoa due to the government’s alleged inability to pay for newly harvested beans.
Annoh-Dompreh made the assertion during a courtesy visit by the Minority Caucus to the Paramount Chief of the Offinso Traditional Area, Nana Dwamena Akenten II, as part of the Asante traditional Akwasidae festival in Offinso.
Speaking in an interview with Akwasi Nsiah on Adom TV’s Badwam, Adimado dismissed the claims, stressing that cocoa purchases are ongoing.
“There has been no directive from government asking Licensed Buying Companies to suspend cocoa purchases. LBCs are still buying cocoa beans and farmers are also selling to us,” he said.
Adimado described the legislator’s statement as unfortunate, warning that such claims could create unnecessary tension between cocoa farmers and LBCs.
He further noted that the government, through the Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD), has released over GH¢4 billion to LBCs for payments to cocoa farmers whose beans were purchased as far back as November last year.
“Payments have started, although not all farmers have received theirs yet. Measures are in place to ensure that every farmer who supplied cocoa beans will be paid,” he assured.
Adimado urged farmers to remain calm, reaffirming that cocoa purchasing is ongoing nationwide and that efforts are being made to settle all outstanding payments.
Latest Stories
-
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
28 seconds -
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
5 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
11 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
14 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
17 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
18 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
21 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
22 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
23 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
29 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
37 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
39 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
42 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
47 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
47 minutes