Huawei and Telkom have supported a 5G live stream of Africa’s endangered penguins to highlight role of 5G and supporting technology for conservation and environmental protection as well as other 5G use case.
The live stream from Boulders Beach in Cape Town, home to the largest group of African Penguins in South Africa, hosted on Telkom’s 5G temporary network, was broadcast to Huawei’s global and local social media platforms.
Hosted by conservationist and wildlife TV presenter Lauren Arthur, the live stream not only gave watchers the chance to experience the unique penguin colony, it also illustrated 5G’s potential as an enabler of environmental conservation.
For the Boulders penguin colony, intensive conservation is becoming increasingly important. The African Penguin is listed as ‘Endangered’ on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
As the largest grouping of the birds, the Boulders colony is therefore critical to the species’ survival. Its fragility was also underlined earlier this year when 64 birds died following a bee attack on the beach.
CEO of Telkom Consumer Business, As Lunga Siyo pointed out that 5G technology could prove pivotal in allowing conservationists to monitor the colony.
“If we could set up a 5G camera here, the experts could watch the penguins every movement and of course help prevent another incident like the bee attack,” he said.
“In the future, 5G won’t only enrich people’s digital lives, but will also bring real benefits and change to humans, companies, society, and the natural world,” he added.
5G can be especially beneficial in South Africa’s goal of achieving a digital economy.
Siyo pointed out that sectors where 5G was starting to play a role included, health, education, mining and the consumer market.
Siyo also pointed out that Telkom is well poised to roll out 5G across South Africa.
“Telkom currently has the largest optical fiber network in South Africa and many cell masts are already 5G ready,” he said.
“I don’t think it will be long before our users will be able to enjoy the convenience of 5G networks.”
Minister of the Department of Communication and Digital Technology, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni said post pandemic travel is immersive with opportunities for enhanced technologies to give tourists a digital-first experience of a destination.
She commended Huawei for the streaming of the Penguin colony, as an innovative way to engage potential tourists from far and wide within Huawei’s reach, to stimulate foreign tourist interest in the area.
Huawei is also involved in several other conservation initiatives, including a project that uses upcycled Huawei devices and Huawei’s Cloud AI to protect rainforests.
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Government is resolute to ensure all-inclusive access to education – Bawumia
- New parliament: PM Modi inaugurates building amid opposition boycott
- Period poverty: ‘I don’t want anyone else to use rags for sanitary pads’
- How prosperity fuels dowry demand in India
- US debt ceiling deal ready for Congress vote, Joe Biden says
- Erdogan hails election victory but Turkey left divided
- Covid was not a cover-up for corruption – Akufo-Addo
- Sanitary pads should be tax-free; not menstrual luxury – Rosetta Ntriwaah Boakye
- Venice Biennale: The woman behind the whirlwind festival
- betPawa PL: Medeama go four points clear; Hearts of Oak lose against Legon Cities
- Kamaldeen Sulemana scores twice as Southampton draw with Liverpool
- Leicester suffer Premier League relegation despite win over West Ham
- Leeds United relegated after final day defeat to Tottenham
- Dealing with absenteeism during menstruation; sanitary pad bank to aid girls in Obuasi
- We shall overcome our present economic difficulties- Akufo-Addo