Audio By Carbonatix
A South African soldier, who was part of a United Nations peacekeeping force in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, died on Monday when a hand grenade exploded close to his sleeping quarters, South Africa's military said.
It was not clear what caused the hand grenade to explode, the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) said in a statement late on Tuesday, adding that a board of inquiry including UN officials would investigate the incident that happened in Beni.
South African soldiers are in Congo as part of the UN force called MONUSCO and a separate mission deployed by southern African regional bloc SADC to help the government fight rebel groups.
Including the latest death, at least seven South African soldiers have lost their lives in Congo since February.
Two were killed in a mortar attack on an SANDF base in Sake in eastern Congo last month, one was killed in a battle with Rwandan-backed M23 rebels in May.
Another died after receiving treatment for unspecified health issues in April and two were killed in a mortar attack in February.
At the time of the February deaths South African President Cyril Ramaphosa hit back at opposition criticism that the troops in Congo were ill-equipped.
The UN force is withdrawing from Congo in stages. A first stage was completed last month, but no timeline has been set yet for the next phase amid an escalation in clashes in the restive east.
Latest Stories
-
Empowerher in Upper West region
8 minutes -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
17 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
18 minutes -
BoG warns against weak non-interest banking products as NIFAC inaugurated
19 minutes -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
20 minutes -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
20 minutes -
‘A mine may close, but the community must not’ – Ga Mantse calls for sustainable mining
23 minutes -
UG Pro VC calls for an integrated risk management approach to tackle Ghana’s perennial flooding
29 minutes -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
32 minutes -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
34 minutes -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
39 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
43 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
48 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
51 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
54 minutes