Audio By Carbonatix
Thierry Henry thought about quitting international football following his handball in last week's World Cup play-off win over the Republic of Ireland.
The striker found himself at the centre of controversy following the incident, which helped France beat Ireland and book a place in South Africa.
And when asked if he had considered retiring, he told French newspaper L'Equipe: "Oh yes.
"Friday, when it all went too far, I was very worked up."
The Football Association of Ireland wrote to Fifa to ask that the match be replayed on the back of the incident, which saw Henry blatantly handle the ball before setting up William Gallas for the goal which secured a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 aggregate victory.
That request was rejected, after which Henry released a statement saying a replay would be the "fairest solution".
The FAI admitted defeat over the weekend when the French Football Federation backed Fifa by stating that a replay would not be a viable option.
Henry admitted, however, that the "cheat" storm prompted him to seriously consider his future in the game - and not for the first time.
"After the 2006 World Cup, I thought about it, but it was too early," he said. "After Euro 2008, too, but it wasn't the right moment. There was a generation that needed me.
"Despite everything that has just happened and the fact that I felt let down, I will not let my country down."
The 32-year-old, who has scored a French record 51 goals from 117 internationals, criticised the FFF for their lack of support.
"The day after the match, and the day after that, I felt alone, really alone," he said. "It was only after I issued my statement that the people from the French Federation got in touch."
Source: BBC Sport
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
53 seconds -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
2 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
4 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
7 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
9 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
10 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
10 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
11 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
20 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
28 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
28 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
30 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
37 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
45 minutes -
KN Foundation prison outreach: Amenfi Central MP moved by sight of ‘very young boys’ as football legends visit inmates
45 minutes