Officers from the Police and Ghana National Fire Service have begun investigations into a gas explosion in a local gold refinery shop at Akwaboso in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region.
Two people died while five others are critically injured following the explosion on Sunday.
Akwasi, 34, and Yaw Asare, 29, died as they were said to be closer to a gas cylinder used by the gold refinery.
Officers from the police and National Fire Service were called in following a by the assemblyman of the Subin-Akwaboso electoral area Sunday morning at about 9 a.m.
Three others who are not workers of the refinery company but sustained varying degrees of burn injuries have been admitted at the Bibiani Government Hospital.
“When we got there, we saw that the agency’s premises were completely demolished. It was totally shattered.
The blast affected five houses that were very close to the scene. Some had their roofing sheets removed while others had parts of their buildings damaged.
“There were two other houses which were 70-meters away that we visited. We saw that their ceiling in their bedrooms and halls have all collapsed,” said Diaso District Commander, DSP Osei Adu Agyemang told JoyNews.
According to DSP Adu Agyemang, police had to search for the dismembered body parts of the deceased scattered all over the place.
“We also found that there was this guy they gave the name as Akwasi; the one who was refining the gold.
“We found a dismembered, scattered body [parts] all around and we were told that was the body of Akwasi. So we have to go round, gather all those pieces of the tissues. Some were even found hanging on rooftops. We have to remove all these and then put in a polythene bag.”
The injured who were first rushed to the Subin Health Center have been identified as Kwadwo Opoku, 34; Amos, 34, and Louis Quicoo, 30.
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Stella Gyimaah Larbi adjudged overall best teacher for 2022
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- Government increases cocoa price by 21 percent to ¢800 a bag
- Consumer Protection Agency raises alarm on sale of already registered SIM cards
- President’s speech did not offer any new direction in fighting galamsey – Daryl Bosu
- Samuel Antwi beats Johnson Acquah to win the Translight Solar Tennis Super Cup
- Two sisters settling family feud on Big Chef
- Minority in Parliament pressures government to announce producer price of cocoa for 2022 season
- 25 killed as bus plunges into gorge in India
- Masloc begins training for its staff as nationwide digitisation rollout
- GFA launches Talent Identification and Development Programme
- Illegal miners torture suspected thieves on site
- Suicide is never an option – Funny Face
- #NoToGalamsey: The pledge to put my presidency on the line wasn’t bombast or recklessness – Akufo-Addo